Tag Archives: MOTOGP

F1 GP Brazil will stay at Interlagos until 2025 because Rio’s steps are intermittent | Instant News


The Formula 1 Brazilian Grand Prix will stay at Interlagos until 2025 after a new long-term agreement is reached, according to the governor of Sao Paulo.

The historic venue, which has held races every year since being shortened in 1990, will be replaced by a new circuit in Rio de Janeiro starting next year.

However, the company behind the project, Rio Motorsports, is facing an uphill battle obtain the necessary environmental permits to continue construction facility, which is located on the outskirts of the town of Deodoro.

Amid questions over whether the circuit will be built, F1 owners Liberty Media returned to Sao Paulo, despite previously arguing over their last contract, negotiating with Bernie Ecclestone, which saw Interlagos host the Brazilian Grand Prix for free.

And after being included in the provisional 2021 calendar earlier this week, it looks like the future of racing is secured.

“The Interlagos race track has been confirmed to host F1 for the next five years,” state governor Joao Doria said at a press conference earlier this week.

“The contract will be signed by [Sao Paulo] Mayor Bruno Covas and Liberty Media, F1 rights holders.

“This is a big win for the city of Sao Paulo, this is a big win for the state of Sao Paulo and for Brazil.”

Some reports claim the race will become known as the Sao Paulo GP under the new agreement, and there is definitely no love lost for those trying to take F1 away from the city.

“The understanding we have maintained since last year with Liberty Media is based on the right instruments, with race tracks that are approved by riders, by teams, and for over 30 years, having hosted the Brazilian Grand Prix,” added Doria.

“We don’t make speculations, we don’t make artificial projections, we don’t promise investments that can’t be made.”

F1 is also known to have canceled the broadcast rights agreement made with Rio Motorsports, and it is not known where the company will continue their project going forward.

.



image source

Italian Bezzecchi grabbed a Moto2 win at Valencia as Lowes lost the title lead | Instant News


Marco Bezzecchi of Italy won the European Moto2 Grand Prix on Sunday when Britain’s Sam Lowes lost the lead after crashing at Valencia’s race track on Sunday.

Kalex’s Enea Bastianini of Italy is now narrowly ahead of Lowes in the title race with only two races remaining. He has 184 points with Lowes on 178 points.

It was Bezzecchi’s second win of the season after the Styrian GP and leaves him fourth in the table, 29 points adrift of him.

Bezzecchi joked after the race that he had spoken to his motorbike during the closing stages of the grand prix.

“‘Don’t let me get off now,’ I said to the bike, and it didn’t,” said the Italian who failed to complete the last two events.

Sunday morning, Spaniard’s Raul Fernandez claimed his first GP win at Moto3 level after leaders Albert Arenas was disqualified.

Japanese Ai Ogura finished third on the day to move up to second in the championship just three points adrift of Arena.

“This first win is indescribable, I will remember it for the rest of my life,” said KTM rider Fernandez.

Arena sped behind the rival who caused the initial crash, and was disqualified for causing the accident.

Moto2

1. Marco Bezzecchi (ITA / Kalex) 40 minutes 06,441 seconds, 2. Jorge Martin (ESP / Kalex) at 1,941 seconds, 3. Remy Gardner (AUS / Kalex) 3,553, 4. Enea Bastianini (ITA / Kalex) 4,494, 5 Lorenzo Baldassarri (ITA / Kalex) 4,648

Moto2 standings after 13 out of 15 races

1. Enea Bastianini (ITA / Kalex) 184, 2. Sam Lowes (GBR / Kalex) 178 points, 3. Luca Marini (ITA / Kalex) 165, 4. Marco Bezzecchi (ITA / Kalex) 155, 5. Jorge Martin ( ESP / Kalex) 125

Moto3

1. Raul Fernandez (ESP / KTM) 38 minutes 29,140 seconds, 2. Sergio Garcia (ESP / Honda) at 0.703 seconds, 3. Ai Ogura (JPN / Honda) 1,005, 4. Tony Arbolino (ITA / Honda) 1,037, 5 Darryn Binder (RSA / KTM) 13,392

Standings after 13 of 15 races:

1. Albert Arenas (ESP / KTM) 157, 2. Ai Ogura (JPN / Honda) 154, 3. Celestino Vietti (ITA / KTM) 137, 4. Tony Arbolino (ITA / Honda) 134, 5. Jaume Masia (ESP / Honda) 133

.



image source

Brazil is out, Saudi Arabia is on the leaked provisional F1 calendar 2021 | Instant News


A first look at the potential of the 2021 Formula 1 calendar has leaked with some changes included.

This season, F1 will have to adapt and cope with the Covid-19 pandemic, canceling its original schedule for a new 17-race championship based in Europe with the final triple-header in the Middle East.

As noted by CEO Chase Carey this week, F1 aims to return to a more normal calendar next year, starting once again in March and ending in early December in Abu Dhabi.

22 races are also expected, just as originally intended in 2020, while no new races included in the revised calendar are maintained.

There is some conflicting information regarding where exactly the championship will start, such as Racer Australian reports will remain the opening race, in the interim F1i.com claim Bahrain will have the honor with Melbourne turning to October.

Commenting on a potential 2021 date earlier this month, Australian GP CEO Andrew Westacott hinted that all options were on the table.

“Our discussions with Formula 1 and also with Dorna, who runs MotoGP, are carried out regularly and are very, very positive in every way,” MotorsportWeek citing him as telling SpeedCafe.com.

“What I know for these two motorsport calendars is that they both intend to put out their provisional calendars for the 2021 season in mid to late October.

“What this means for Formula 1 is that Melbourne will be in the opening slot for the traditional March season on the provisional calendar.

“What it means for MotoGP is that Phillip Island will be in its traditional slot at the end of October on the MotoGP calendar.”

However, Westacott made it clear that one thing Australia could not happen to be a repeat of last-minute cancellations at F1 this year.

“We are adopting an approach that, if you want to use the wording, is modular, extensible, adaptable, flexible, and has to be sensible and very, very secure,” he added.

“My optimistic approach is that we will be ready to have an audience at Albert Park by the end of March.

“[But] Grand Prix companies, governments, and Formula 1 all have to realize that decisions have to be made on this side of Christmas.

“It will be, obviously, a collective decision, but once it is locked up, we need to commit because it’s not in anyone’s interest to cancel the March cancellation this year.”

At another place, F1i.com placing Baku in April, having initially moved back to June for the year before the cancellation, while the Vietnamese and Dutch GPs retained their start dates for their season.

Spain, which has yet to announce a new racing contract for next year, is also included, while the rest of the European season will return to normal pre-Covid conditions.

The only new race for 2021 will be the entry of the GP of Saudi Arabia on the streets of Jeddah, immediately taking place at the November Brazilian Grand Prix.

This is because the Interlagos contract expires at the end of this year, and the construction of a controversial new circuit in Rio de Janeiro now looks unlikely to be ready in time, if it keeps going at all.

see F1i.com complete temporary calendar below.

1 Bahrain GP (Bahrain) March 14th
2 Vietnamese GP (Hanoi) March 28
3 Chinese GP (Shanghai) April 11th
4 Azerbaijan GP (Raw) April 25th
5 Dutch GP (Zandvoort) May 2nd
6 Spanish GP (Barcelona) May 9th
7 Monaco GP (Montecarlo) 23 May
8 Canadian GP (Montreal) June 6
9 Austrian GP (Spielberg) 20 June
10 French GP (Paul Ricard) 27 June
11 British GP (Silverstone) July 11th
12 Hungarian GP (Budapest) July 25th
13 Belgian GP (Spa) August 29
14 Italian GP (Monza) September 5th
15 Russian GP (Sochi) 19 September
16 Singapore GP (Marina Bay) 26 September
17 Japanese GP (Suzuka) October 10th
18 Australian GP (Melbourne) October 24th
19 US GP (Austin) November 7th
20 Mexican GP (Mexico) November 14th
21 GP of Saudi Arabia (Jeddah) November 28th
22 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (Yas Marina) November 5

.



image source

Did Interlagos hold its last Brazilian GP? ‘We keep talking’ | Instant News


Sao Paulo Governor Joao Doria said talks continued about the future of the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos.

This year is the last based on the current contract between Formula 1 and historic sites but it is uncertain whether the race will take place because the South American country faces the second highest Covid-19 outbreak globally.

Of course, with five months to the original planned date of November 15, there is still time to improve the situation in Brazil, and Doria remains confident that Sao Paulo will host a safe F1 by 2020.

“The race track is prepared to receive Formula 1, clearly in the health protocol,” he said MotorsportWeek.com on Friday.

“Organizers know that, everywhere in the world, they must adhere to the city’s health protocol. With regard to this year, the contract must be fulfilled. Need to make this clear. Our position is that the contract will be fulfilled. “

Also read:

However, if not, it is unthinkable that Interlagos has held the Brazilian Grand Prix for the last time, at least for the foreseeable future, with continued speculation that the new circuit in Rio de Janeiro will take over hosting duties from 2021.

“We continue to talk to Liberty Media about the possibility of contract extension,” commented the governor of Sao Paulo.

“Here we have a race track that is ready, established, and considered one of the five best in the world.

“Nobody is against Rio de Janeiro, but it doesn’t make sense to spend R $ 1 billion ($ 190 million) to build racing tracks in areas that did not have environmental approval at the time of the pandemic, with scarcity of resources in the region. state, both public and private.

“We continue to talk and talk with Liberty Media with a view to renewing this contract. There was no decision signed by Liberty, but there was an official statement by the city and government. “

.



image source

Motorcycle: Rossi hopes to decide on the future before the season starts | Instant News


(Reuters) – Italian MotoGP rider Valentino Rossi said he wants to continue racing next year, when he will be 42 years old, but most likely must commit before he can see how competitive he is this season.

FILE PHOTOS: MotoGP – Valencia Grand Prix – Ricardo Tormo Circuit, Cheste, Valencia, Spain – 17 November 2019 Yamaha Energy Monster Valentino Rossi in action during the REUTERS / Heino Kalis race / Photo file

A series of MotoGP races have been postponed until the end of June at the earliest due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with greater possibility to follow due to a ban on large meetings and sporting events.

Rossi will leave the Yamaha first team at the end of 2020 but has a seat on the Yamaha Petronas satellite if he wants it in direct exchange with 21-year-old Frenchman Fabio Quartararo.

“I think I have to decide before the race because in the most optimistic situation we can race in the second half of the season, so around August or September we hope, if all is well,” Rossi said in a Yamaha question and answer on YouTube. .

“But I have to make a decision beforehand. I want to continue but I must make this decision without making a race.

“This is not the best way to stop because the situation is maybe we will not race in 2020 either. It’s more fair to make another championship and maybe stop at the next end. I hope to continue in 2021, “he added.

Rossi is a motorcycle phenomenon, a nine-time world champion in all categories with seven titles in the upper class.

He is the only racer to compete in more than 400 grand prix and also offers the longest winning career, spanning more than 20 years between wins, with 89 wins in the top category.

The Italian said in January he needed some answers from the opening race before launching another campaign in 2021.

Isolating at home in eastern Italy, he said the pandemic had put him in a difficult situation.

“As I said, my first choice is to try to continue because I have enough motivation and I want to continue.

“But it is very important to understand the level of competitiveness, especially in the second part of last year we suffered greatly, and too often I was too slow and I had to fight not for the first five positions.

“So in my mind I have one more year with the factory team and I need time to decide. I need five, six races to be understood with a new chief mechanic, and with some modifications in the team I can be stronger. ”

Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London; Editing by Hugh Lawson

.



image source