Tag Archives: Mozambique

Floyd’s trial & Biden infrastructure plan, Easter Covid, Mozambique, Italian spy line | Instant News


Issued in:

It’s hard to be clinical and level-headed if the evidence is so disturbing. Opening trials in Minneapolis of police officers accused of murder of 46-year-old George Floyd. The jury on the opening day showed a nine-minute video of Derek Chauvin holding his leg around the neck of the handcuffed victim. From witnesses to experts and loved ones, every day is filled with emotions – like Thursday when Floyd’s girlfriend, Courteney Ross, took the same emotions that sparked outrage around the world last May and the question of why this is not an open and closed case.

In the context of Covid, Joe Biden this week unveiled a two trillion dollar infrastructure plan, but rebuilding roads and bridges is only the fourth item on the list topped by expanding care for the elderly and people with disabilities and affordable housing. The US president emphasized America’s job and competition with China.

The French headed to the country well at least those who could afford it. The Easter weekend anniversaries began before the triple Lockdown that the president had tried to delay as long as possible but with hospitals inundated, Emmanuel Macron took to national television Wednesday to deliver bad news.

If you’re wondering how apostate Catholics took edicts from above, one poll said seven in ten French people approved of the government measures but 46% admitted they intended to break the rules. That figure jumps to six in ten for young people.

The Mozambique military claims that the 15 billion euro natural gas project spearheaded by French energy giant Total is safe. Safe from jihadist rebels who last week stormed the northern coastal city of Palma, killing dozens of people, including foreigners, and forcing thousands to flee. Government forces still haven’t regained control, work on the compound has been postponed, and refugees who have managed to escape on foot or by boat come up with chilling stories.

It was the week that the top Covid official in Sicily had to stop when he was caught on tape ordering a reduction in the infection rate and an Italian frigate captain was caught in a Roman car park selling military secrets to a Russian military attaché.

Produced by Alessandro Xenos, Juliette Laurain and Imen Mellaz.

.



image source

British lawmakers are seeking investigations into UK-registered companies that may be linked to the Beirut blasts | Instant News


LONDON (Reuters) – Two senior UK lawmakers on Friday called for an investigation into a UK-listed company that may be linked to last year’s devastating explosion in Beirut after Reuters found it had not disclosed its beneficial owners.

FILE PHOTOS: Still images taken from drone footage show damage two days after the explosion in the port area of ​​Beirut, Lebanon August 6, 2020. Reuters TV / via REUTERS / File Photo

The company, Savaro Ltd, is registered at a London address, and like all British companies are required to list their owners with a British company register, known as Companies House.

In an email to Reuters this week, the woman registered as owner and sole director of Savaro at Companies House, Marina Psyllou, told Reuters she was acting as an agent on behalf of another beneficial owner, whose identities she could not reveal.

“People who have been and have always been the UBO (the main beneficial owner) of the company are always the same. Please note, we cannot say his name, “he said. He didn’t say why he couldn’t reveal his identity.

Global corporate governance rules define UBO as someone who receives benefits from entity transactions, usually owning at least 25% of his capital.

Margaret Hodge, a British lawmaker and former cabinet minister who headed the parliament’s public affairs committee from 2010-2015, called the apparent failure to list Savaro’s main beneficiaries in Companies House “outrageous”.

“The British authorities should investigate this, given that inaccurate information appears to have been submitted. We need to challenge the formation agents who appear to have acted inappropriately. “

John Mann, a member of the British House of Lords who has investigated the use of UK-registered companies in illicit activities, said the case showed the need for stronger enforcement of UK company disclosure rules.

“It is shocking and very damaging to the UK’s reputation that Companies House and our national company registration system could easily be exploited,” he said.

Psyllou, which provides company registration for clients through her own Cyprus company Interstatus, said in a follow-up email to Reuters on Thursday that her company “strictly complies with the law and reports to relevant regulators”.

He also denied this week that Savaro may be linked to the Lebanon explosion, saying he believes the company has never done any business: “As far as we are concerned, the company, since its registration, has remained inactive with no trade or other activity. or keep any bank account because the project on which it was founded never materialized. “He did not provide further information on the company’s intended purpose.

FERTILIZER DELIVERY

A Reuters investigation last year of the blast in Beirut that killed 200 people found that a large shipment of ammonium nitrate fertilizer that exploded in Lebanon had been held in Beirut on its way to Mozambique. The Mozambican buyer FEM identifies the company it bought it from as Savaro.

The Lebanese source said the fertilizer sales contract identified Savaro Ltd, and registered it at a London address where it was then registered with British authorities.

Tracking shipments could ultimately depend on revealing who stands behind Savaro, said Ben Cowdock, who is investigating international corruption for Transparency International in London.

Under a change to the law in 2016 – introduced as part of an anti-corruption campaign by Prime Minister David Cameron – it should be an immediate matter of seeking information with Companies House, Cowdock added.

The Psyllou Interstatus company has been registered since 2006 as company secretary for Savaro, is responsible for meeting its reporting requirements, and other Interstatus companies were originally registered as owners of Savaro.

In July 2016, three months after a Cameron-era rule change requiring companies to register their beneficial owners, Savaro updated his records to identify Psyllou himself as the owner.

MPs Hodge and Mann both asked the UK business ministry to investigate what they said appeared to be a breach of disclosure rules. The business ministry declined to comment, saying it does not discuss individual companies.

Additional reporting by Lisa Barrington in Dubai, Ellen Francis in Beirut and Maria Tsvetkova in Moscow; Edited by Peter Graff

.



image source

Britain extended the UK entry ban for travelers from 11 African countries for the COVID variant | Instant News


Passengers sit under the sign of a testing center at the Manchester Airport terminal building amidst the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Manchester, England, 3 December 2020. REUTERS / Phil Noble

(Reuters) – Britain on Thursday said it would extend a ban on travelers entering Britain to southern African countries as a measure to prevent the spread of the new COVID-19 variant identified in South Africa.

The restrictions will take effect on Saturday and remain in effect for two weeks, the government said in a statement bit.ly/3pTvmsk.

“Entry into the UK will be prohibited for those who have traveled from or through any southern African country in the past 10 days, including Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Eswatini, Zambia, Malawi, Lesotho, Mozambique and Angola – as well as Seychelles and Mauritius. , “Said the country’s Department of Transportation.

In addition, it said, “Israel (and Jerusalem) will be removed from the list of travel corridors for Britain and people arriving from January 9 from Botswana, Israel (and Jerusalem), Mauritius or the Seychelles need to self-isolate.”

Britain has previously said it has temporarily banned the entry of passengers into the UK arriving from South Africa from 24 December, excluding British and Irish citizens, visa holders and permanent residents, who will be able to enter but are required to self-isolate for 10 years. day. bit.ly/3bjC1IA

The UK has been one of the countries hardest hit by COVID-19, and its economy experienced the sharpest contraction of all countries in the Group of Seven during the first wave of infections last spring.

Reporting by Anirudh Saligrama in Bengaluru; Edited by Cynthia Osterman and Dan Grebler

.



image source

East Germany Day cuts development aid to Mozambique | Africa | DW | Instant News


At the time of the invasion, the East German government was implementing one of the largest African agricultural projects in Mozambique. East Germany, officially known as the German Democratic Republique (GDR), has planned 120,000 hectares of projects in various locations across the country. But the attack stopped everything. A total of eight GDR residents, a Yugoslav development worker, and five Mozambican citizens were killed in the attack. To this day, it is unclear who carried out the armed attacks.

The GDR has sent Manfred Grunewald, an agricultural expert, to the Unango project. Fortunately, he was in the capital of Mozambique, Maputo, at the time of the attack and was about to return to the airport when he heard the news.

The monument to commemorate the victims of the Unango attack is still there today

DW: What really happened on that December morning when the GDR experts accompanied by the Mozambican army left Lichinga, where they live, to Unango, the project site?

Manfred Grunewald: People can say a lot. But in the first three months, we were guarded during the trip to the agricultural production site because, unlike in the past, RENAMO [National Resistance of Mozambique] a rebel movement suddenly appeared in the north. RENAMO does not attack strategically important military targets; instead, they are brutally attack the populationand often forced entire villages to flee.

Did only the GDR experts die?

No, the attackers killed seven Germans on the spot; the other two were seriously injured. A Yugoslav employee and five Mozambican citizens, including two guards, were also killed. It wasn’t that the guards disappeared and didn’t fire at all. They were also killed for fighting back.

Did the two injured people survive?

The seriously injured were brought to Maputo by small plane and operated on there. He died from his wounds ten days later. Someone suspects a dum-dum bullet [a deformation bullet; that expands and tears down body organs and tissue upon entry into body tissue]. That means the attacker used projectiles. They had been banned from war for a long time even then. Another injured person was shot in the leg. He came home with us and survived.

That’s interesting because other deaths are rarely even mentioned in reports here in Germany. What happened in the following days?

We fear that there will be more deaths, but we have yet to find out who else was included in the report. This sudden terrorist attack, which resulted in the deaths of so many people, also meant that the project had to be stopped overnight throughout Mozambique, and the GDR withdrew its entire staff. However, there were snipers at work who didn’t even allow machines and various other work bases to be removed. And the people of Mozambique have not been able to do any further work.

Are there times after your return that you and a bereaved relative have offered to help with the trauma?

As far as I know, the wife of the person who died was sick. Funeral expenses are covered, as are funeral advertisements in the local newspapers. There is also an orphan allowance for children and a widow’s allowance. So far this has been provided within the legal framework of the GDR, but there has been no specific support either before or after the fall of the Wall. There are no offers to deal with trauma.

Manfred Grunewald, former German construction worker

Manfred Grunewald is a GDR agricultural expert at Unango

On the contrary, it wasn’t even being investigated. So, never did the states, neither the GDR nor the Federal Republic, at the state level, public prosecutors, etc … do whatever it takes to investigate this terrorist attack. What disappointed me the most was that society accepted little or nothing of what was happening there.

Do you still want the attack on Unango to be resolved?

First of all, I want the Germans to not only proceed legally formally but also think about how one could use PR to reward the achievements of the experts at that time. Second, there is still something that can be done to clear up this dilemma. Who is behind it, that our group was attacked in such a way and paid for their efforts to cause good cause with their lives? Incidentally, none of our group hates or dislikes the Mozambican people.

On the contrary, we know some elements want to interfere with development. And if there is always only war and terror, then humanity cannot develop normally. It’s possible. At Niassa, either under socialism or capitalism, one can produce sufficient food products, also for the market. We have set up two shops selling vegetables and charcoal. Something was really happening there, and it shouldn’t be destroyed. That’s what I blame this devastating Mozambican element.

Ten years ago, there was a film on [German public broadcaster] MDR, and we got involved. A RENAMO representative from Lichinga denied responsibility and said, “a lot is happening in the context of war. But we are not carrying out this attack.” Mozambique was unable to withdraw to that position and said that we have granted amnesty. We’re not investigating anything anymore. We reserve the right to have our rights in Mozambique further examined. Even though these people died long ago, their children are now adults. The dead now have grandchildren. They want to know what happened at that time.

Interview conducted by Johannes Beck

Manfred Grunewald is an agricultural expert from the former German Democratic Republic (GDR).

.



image source

Mozambique Miners Return to South Africa when COVID-19 Lifts the Blockade | American voice | Instant News


GENEVA, SWITZERLAND – The International Organization for Migration reports South Africa has lifted the COVID-19 blockade, which allows thousands of Mozambican miners to cross the border and return to work.

The border between South Africa and Mozambique has been closed since March. This has created economic difficulties for the families of about 28,000 Mozambican miners. They cannot cross the border to work in South Africa and send remittances to support their families.

A spokesman for the International Organization for Migration, Paul Dillon, told VOA that an agreement made between the two countries would allow migrants who were screened well for the corona virus to continue work in South Africa.

“Screening is carried out by recruitment agencies and when they are screened as virus free, they are then taken to South Africa and quarantined there by recruitment agencies for 14 days,” he said.

Dillon said the first group of 500 miners had gone through the process and received a medical examination at the IOM’s cross-border Occupational Health Center. The center was originally established to improve early diagnosis and treatment of TB, a condition that disproportionately affects miners.

A miner is measured in temperature before his shift, during the national closure due to the COVID-19 outbreak, at a Sibanye-Stillwater company mine in Carletonville, South Africa, May 19, 2020.

An IOM spokesman said another 3,000 miners would be screened at the center in the coming weeks.

South Africa is the country hardest hit by COVID-19 on the continent. The World Health Organization reports more than 337,500 people are infected with the corona virus and more than 4,800 have died. This contrasts with only 1,400 cases reported in Mozambique, including nine deaths.

Dillon said IOM has decades of experience helping its member states with various health and border management issues. He said that he hoped to use this expertise to create opportunities for Mozambican citizens with other skills to work in South Africa as well.

“South Africa’s gold and platinum mines themselves employ around 45,000 migrant workers and their skills are considered essential for the resumption of economic activity there … It is hoped that thousands of migrant workers in Mozambique, including those in the agricultural sector, with contracts in South Africa will soon become part from the same process, “he said.

Dillon said IOM staff had worked with long-distance truck drivers at the border crossings of Ressano Garcia and Machipanda since June in terms of how to protect themselves from COVID-19. He said they had provided nearly 7,500 truck drivers with prevention messages in the local language and gave them practical tips for washing their hands and keeping their physical distance.

.



image source