Copyright © 2020 NBC Universal Inc. All rights reserved
Riverside County officials on Wednesday shared a list of food sources for seniors and adults with disabilities who might be stuck at home or struggling to buy groceries because coronavirus pandemic.
Through the Riverside Regional Office on Aging, adults over 60 years old or those with disabilities have several options for taking free food or sending it to their doorstep.
“We have a number of programs, depending on the needs of our callers and nutritional risks. We will adjust registration to one or more of these important nutrition programs,” said Gary Robbins, Aging’s deputy director for programs and operations.
Robbins said food demand has tripled in recent weeks, and the department is on average calling nearly 1,200 calls per day.
Kim Tobin reports for NBC4 News at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, April 21, 2020.
Elderly or disabled adults can call 800-510-2020, or visit www.rcAging.org to see if they qualify for the following resources:
Local restaurants are also asked to send emails [email protected] if they are interested in participating in departmental programs.
Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker announced last week that he would extend the country stay at home until May 30 because the state continues to see an increase in the number of cases of the corona virus, but Monday’s ruling could temporarily stop the restrictions.
Clay County Judge, Michael McHaney rule against Pritzker’s orders, giving a restraining order to temporarily block house-based restrictions which take effect on Friday, according to local reports.
The verdict came after Rep. Republican State Darren Bailey of Xenia filed a lawsuit in the Clay County District Court which claimed Pritzker exceeded his authority and violated the civil rights of citizens. Pritzker on Thursday extended his order at home until May 30 because the highly contagious COVID-19 continued to infect thousands in the state.
Read Pritzker’s complete instructions below as provided by the governor’s office.
Based on data from scientists and health experts and after consulting with stakeholders across the state, Governor JB Pritzker announced that he would sign a modified version of the country stay at home which will take effect on May 1 to continue life-saving progress. made during the past month while also allowing additional occupants in the safest way possible.
In conjunction with today’s announcement, the Governor released modeling today united by top academic institutions and researchers in Illinois who predicted the course of the corona virus in the state over the coming months. At our current trajectory, the state is projected to see peaks or plateaus of deaths per day between late April and early May, but if home stay orders are revoked this week, the model anticipates a second wave of outbreaks in Illinois starting in May, which will snatch tens of thousands of lives and far exceed the capacity of state hospitals.
“Make no mistake, Illinois has saved many lives. By staying at home and maintaining social distance, we have maintained our infection and death rates for March and April, thousands below the projected figure if we did not implement this mitigation strategy, “Governor JB Pritzker said. “I know how much we all want our normal lives back. But this is the part where we have to explore and understand that the sacrifice we make is a circumstance to avoid the worst case scenario working – and we need to keep going a little longer to finish the job. “
STAY AMENDED AT HOME ORDER
Applying mitigation measures is only possible with wide availability and access to COVID-19 testing, tracking and treatment. Data shows that if the country raised mitigation abruptly this week, this would produce a second wave of infections, hospitalization and death.
After consulting with doctors, scientists, and experts in Illinois and around the world, the Governor has announced that he will sign a modified version of a permanent order in the state that will take effect on May 1 and extended until the end of the month. Modified orders will strengthen the country’s social distance requirements while giving residents additional flexibility and providing measurable assistance for non-essential businesses in the safest way.
The new executive order will include the following modifications which are effective May 1:
• OUTDOOR RECREATION: State parks will begin a gradual reopening under the guidance of the Department of Natural Resources. Fishing and boating in groups of no more than two people will be permitted. A list of parks to open on May 1 and additional guidelines can be found on the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, HERE’s website. Golf will be permitted under the strict safety guidelines provided by the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunities (DCEO) and when ensuring that social distance is followed.
• NEW IMPORTANT BUSINESS: Greenhouses, garden centers and nurseries can be reopened as important businesses. These shops must follow the social distance requirements and must require employees and customers to wear face coverings. Animal care services can also be reopened.
• NON-IMPORTANT RETAIL: Retail stores that are not designated as non-essential businesses and operations can be reopened to fulfill telephone and online orders through out-of-store pickup and delivery.
• FACE CLOSURE: Beginning on May 1, individuals will be asked to wear face masks or masks when in public places where they cannot maintain a six foot social distance. Face coverings will be needed in public closed spaces, such as shops. This new requirement applies to all individuals over the age of two who can medically tolerate face masks.
• IMPORTANT BUSINESSES AND MANUFACTURING: Important businesses and factories will be required to provide face coverings for all employees who are unable to maintain a social distance of six feet, and follow new requirements that maximize social distance and prioritize welfare. employees and customers. This will include occupancy limits for important businesses and precautions such as shifts that surprise and only operate important lines for producers.
• SCHOOL: Educational institutions can allow and establish procedures for taking the required supplies or student belongings. Displacement of dormitories must follow public health guidelines, including social exclusion.
The Illinois Department of Public Health will also issue guidelines for health centers and hospitals to allow certain elective surgery for non-life-threatening conditions, starting May 1. Facilities must meet certain criteria, including an appropriate PPE, ensuring sufficient overall space for COVID-19 patients to remain available, and elective surgical patient testing to ascertain COVID-19 negative status.
MODELING COVID-19 IN ILLINOIS
While previous projections relied on data from other countries applied in the United States, the modeling released today analyzed two-month daily data on COVID-19 deaths and ICU use in Illinois.
Top researchers from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Northwestern School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago and Illinois Department of Public Health, together with McKinsey and Mier Consulting Group who work on behalf of the City of Chicago and Cook County, work on this projection as a cohort under Civis Analytics, a data analysis company with experience spanning the public and private sectors.
According to the state model, living in a home order has the effect intended to level the curve in Illinois.
Without staying at home, the model estimates that there will be 10 to 20 times more deaths today and that peak mortality rates and peak resource use will be 20 to 30 times what we would see with mitigation. In addition, this calculation does not account for deaths due to lack of access to health resources, so the actual number is likely to be higher.
If housing orders are revoked this week, mortality and hospitalization rates will begin to increase sharply in mid-May. It is projected that the highest mortality rate and peak resource requirements will be almost as high as if no mitigation actions had been taken. During the current outbreak, the model estimates there will be 5 to 10 times more deaths than we would see if we continued mitigation.
In one of the above scenarios, as much as half of the state population can be infected with COVID-19 at once, which will flood the health care system and result in more deaths.
As a further warning of relaxed mitigation without carefully considering the consequences, the model estimates that the number of infected people may have the same size as when the order was started. Even when hospitalization and death begin to decrease, there are still enough active cases to lead to the second wave. Fortunately, staying at home has prevented a large portion of the population from becoming ill, but that also means that a large portion of the population remains vulnerable to the virus.
Maintaining our current vigilance in controlling this epidemic is very important. The model donated by UIUC and UChicago projects daily death peaks or plains between late April and early May. The median and daily mortality range, within a 95% confidence interval, is illustrated below.
Both of these projections show that after the peak, we must expect deaths to take longer to drop to pre-epidemic levels than is needed to rise, underscoring the importance of remaining in the coming weeks and months.
California restaurants will get taxpayers’ money to feed millions of seniors during the coronavirius pandemic, but only if they can offer food with fresh fruit, vegetables, and no sweet drinks.
Governor Gavin Newsom said on Friday that the requirements reflect California values, even though lawmakers have repeatedly failed to impose special taxes and require warning labels for sugary drinks in the past.
“We want to … have a variety of choices and make sure what we send to our seniors is low sodium and not high fructose drinks or sweet drinks and the like,” Newsom said.
California has been under mandatory mandatory home stay since March 19, forcing schools and businesses that are not essential to be closed. Restaurants have become one of the hardest-hit industries in the state, with more than 1 million workers laid off or abandoned, according to a survey by the National Restaurant Association.
The local government will choose which restaurants will produce food and get money. But restaurants must meet nutrition guidelines. Foods cannot have too much sodium and lunch and dinner must have at least one piece of fresh fruit or vegetables.
Jot Condie, president and chief executive officer of the California Restaurant Association, said he believes restaurants can adapt to requirements.
“We realize that this is a sensitive subpopulation that has special dietary needs and I think it might not be for every restaurant,” he said, adding that: “We have made phone calls from restaurants that want to participate.”
Newsom said the federal government would cover 75% of the costs while state and local governments would pay the remainder.
To be eligible, the elderly must live alone or live with one other person who is also eligible. They cannot generate more than $ 74,940 per year (or $ 101,460 for households of two people) and they must have documented exposure to the corona virus. Anyone who has gotten money from other federal food programs will not be eligible.
California has around 5.7 million people aged 65 years and over, around 1.2 million people live alone. An eligible senior will get up to $ 66 per day for three meals at a local restaurant that meets certain criteria.
“We will provide unlimited amounts of food,” Newsom said.
While taxpayers will pay for food, local sales tax will still apply. That could be a boon for local governments, which have suffered because sales tax collections have dried up with little spending on people. The California City League said the local government would do it lost about $ 6.7 billion over the next two years because of coronavirus.
Jon Coupal, president of the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association who supports lower taxes and smaller governments, said he supported Newsom’s initiative provided it included the supervision needed to guard against abuse.
“Assuming that they are careful about spending money, and ensuring that no one gets rich or that people receive food that they can easily buy themselves, our sensitivity is not insulted by that,” he said.
California has more than about 40,000 confirmed viral cases and more than 1,500 deaths, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University. The number of infections is likely to be much higher because many have not been tested, and research shows people can become infected without feeling sick.
Newsom said hospitalization and patients in the intensive care unit were the main statistics to decide when to relax the order to stay at home. Both numbers are basically flat for most of the week.
For most people, the virus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and coughing that disappears in two to three weeks. For some people, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, can cause more severe illnesses, including pneumonia and death.
That’s why Newsom said booking a stay at home is likely to be longer for people aged 65 years and over.
“Our seniors will continue to be the focus of our energy,” Newsom said.