Many Bay Area residents are choosing not to attend next week’s presidential inauguration in Washington, DC, due to security concerns. “It’s very disappointing that we are at this point, that we are not allowed to enjoy a grand opening due to the threat of violence,” said Taylor Aguilera, 26, of Polk County. Aguilera spent months working as the Bay Area Campaign Field Director for the Biden Campaign. She couldn’t wait to celebrate by attending the presidential inauguration. “I would say probably a month before November, my friends and I almost started fantasizing about whether we win, are we going to celebrate and how much fun that would be,” Aguilera said. Aguilera even bought a plane ticket, but decided not to travel after seeing violence unfold on Capitol Hill last week. She was disappointed. “I’ve never been to DC,” she says. “It was supposed to be my first trip.” Aguilera isn’t the only Bay Area resident to change plans due to the violence. Biden campaign volunteer Javier Guerrero of Hillsborough County is also no longer attending the inauguration. PHOTO: Javier Guerrero, center, said he looks forward to attending next week’s opening. “We were eager to celebrate,” Guerrero said. “But it’s not a good environment to do anything now.” Instead, Guerrero chooses to attend an inaugural party online with friends. And Aguilera involves her whole family to celebrate at home. “At the end of the day, it’s a safety factor,” Aguilera said. Authorities are urging people not to come to Washington for the inauguration. Thousands of National Guardsmen are expected in the nation’s capital as President-elect Joe Biden and Vice-President-elect Kamala Harris are sworn in on Wednesday, January 20.
China reported the most daily cases of COVID-19 in more than 10 months on Friday, as local governments and factory owners began offering incentives to millions of migrant workers nationwide to return. not in their home provinces for the Lunar New Year holidays in February. . A total of 144 new cases of COVID-19 were reported on January 14, the National Health Commission said in a statement, up from 138 cases a day earlier and marking the largest daily increase since 202 cases were reported March 1 of last year. The epidemic is centered in the northeast where more than 28 million people are currently under lock and key. The commission said 135 of the new cases were local infections, including 90 in Hebei Province surrounding Beijing. Another 43 cases have been reported in northeast Heilongjiang province, with Guangxi and Shaanxi provinces each reporting one confirmed case. The number of new asymptomatic cases, which China is not including as confirmed cases, fell to 66 from 78 a day earlier. Woman scans a health QR code on her smartphone to record her visit to a market before passing the entry checkpoint, as China steps up efforts to stem a new coronavirus outbreak [Tingshu Wang/Reuters]The outbreak is the most severe in months, and authorities are stepping up efforts to encourage people to avoid all non-essential travel during the Lunar New Year next month, when hundreds of millions of Chinese return to their hometowns. For many of the country’s 280 million migrant workers, this is the only time they can see their families in the rural provinces. Businesses typically pay more to those who choose to work during the festival, but this year local governments and businesses are much more hoping to accept the offer, according to Reuters news agency. Most provinces have issued notices encouraging workers to stay in place, citing the importance of tackling the epidemic and “ensuring the stability of industrial and supply chains.” They offer incentives including extra wages, prizes, entertainment, free New Years Eve banquets, and staggered vacation arrangements. A government notice from Ningbo, a port and industrial center in Zhejiang Province on the east coast, said that production stoppage during the Lunar New Year, given the level of foreign demand, could “cause huge losses to businesses ”. Avoid Travel The state planner of China expects vacation travel “significantly lower” than normal. Authorities in southern Jiangxi Province, a main source of migrant workers, expect travel to account for around 60% of 2019. The rapid spread of the coronavirus last year, after the first cases appeared in Wuhan, coincided with the Lunar New Year. As lockdowns and travel restrictions were imposed, many found themselves trapped in their villages for months and forced into long quarantines when they finally returned to the cities. Wang Zhishen, who works at a container factory in Dongguan, a large industrial city in the south, said he will likely stay there if his factory remains open, although he has already purchased a train ticket to Gansu province. , 2000 kilometers (1243 miles). far in the northwest. “What if you’re unlucky and infected on the way home?” Then your whole family could get sick, ”he says. “If my factory is not to be closed during the holidays, I think I will stay in Dongguan. Going home is too risky. China faces new coronavirus outbreak that started in Hebei, the province surrounding Beijing [Andy Wong/AP Photo]For some, family reunification is always worth it. At the Beijing train station this week, Wang, a 64-year-old construction worker who preferred to share only his last name, was rushing back to his village in eastern Shandong Province before he went into lockdown. “There is no other way. We have to get back before that. We have family at home,” he said, after arriving at the station seven hours before his train left the capital. Total confirmed cases of COVID-19 in mainland China now stands at 87,988, while the death toll remained unchanged at 4,635. The country reported its first coronavirus death in 10 months on Thursday.
RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) – US-based New Fortress Energy Inc said on Wednesday it would buy natural gas company Hygo Energy Transition Ltd for $ 2.18 billion to expand its presence in Brazil, the frontier for growth in the burgeoning liquefied natural gas market. developing.
New Fortress, an energy infrastructure company, is among the private sector players turning their sights to Brazil, where demand for super-cooled LNG is increasing, although the market is smaller than in India and China, where power generation is shifting away from more coal. dirty to natural gas.
With Brazil opening up its natural gas industry to private investors, other companies including oil major BP PLC and US-based EIG Global Partners are also planning multibillion-dollar investments in the country.
New Fortress, a growing competitor in the LNG industry, has a small liquefaction plant in Florida and ships LNG throughout the Caribbean. In the past year, its market value has jumped 286% to $ 10 billion, according to Refinitiv Eikon data. The company is building a larger LNG import terminal in Mexico.
The company will acquire all of Hygo’s outstanding shares for 31.4 million shares of NFE Class A common stock and $ 580 million in cash.
Brazil’s annual demand for LNG is expected to grow by more than 80% by 2021, the fastest rate in the world, although its starting point is relatively low compared to large Asian consumers, said Kristen Holmquist, forecasting specialist at Poten & Partners.
Unlike these countries, most of Brazil’s electricity comes from hydropower. This LNG supply is partly intended to replace the supply of natural gas from pipelines originating from Bolivia.
Hygo transports supercooled fuel and has become a key player in Brazil’s natural gas industry as state-controlled Petrobras sells assets, canceling what was almost a monopoly on the market.
Hygo – a 50-50% joint venture between US private equity firm Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners and Golar LNG – has recently invested in a number of LNG projects in Brazil for power generation. The company is also competing to operate a highly desirable LNG import terminal which is leased by Petrobras.
“There is strong growth in Brazil for electricity-powered projects,” Holmquist said in a webinar on Wednesday.
Hygo has told Reuters in 2020 that it plans to use LNG instead of diesel in trucks.
The transaction has a corporate value of $ 3.1 billion and an equity value of $ 2.18 billion, according to the statement.
The Hygo acquisition comes four months after the company’s trading debut in New York was suspended at the last minute after Brazilian federal prosecutors said the then company’s chief executive was appointed in the early stages of a corruption investigation, to activity at the company previously.
The CEO at the time, Eduardo Antonello, had left the company. He hasn’t been charged.
New Fortress also agreed to buy Hygo’s controlling company, Golar LNG Partners LP for about $ 251 million in general equity value and a company value of $ 1.9 billion.
Golar LNG Ltd was up 15% in US trading, while New Fortress Energy was up 10%.
Reporting by Sabrina Valle and Rithika Krishna; Edited by Maju Samuel, Krishna Chandra Eluri, Steve Orlofsky and David Gegoryo
SYDNEY (Reuters) – US private equity firm Silver Lake is in further talks to acquire a minority stake in the commercial activities of New Zealand Rugby, the home of the world-renowned All Blacks team, sources familiar with the negotiations told Reuters.
The potential deal is for “up to 15%” of the three-time Rugby World Cup winners, the source said, asking not to be named because negotiations are private.
The talks with Silver Lake were first reported by Sky News, which said a deal for a 15% stake would cost the team an estimated $ 2 billion. Sky said a deal had yet to be concluded, but could be announced as soon as this month.
An investment in one of the world’s most famous sports brands will expand the company’s portfolio of $ 75 billion in buying giants, most of which are tech and sports venues and teams, according to its website.
A representative from Silver Lake declined to comment.
Charlotte McLauchlan, Communications Director for Rugby New Zealand, told Reuters the organization “is on track to see what partner investors look like for New Zealand Rugby – which is a very attractive prospect for us”.
He declined to comment further.
Last year, Rugby New Zealand launched a review of how the game in a rugby-mad country is run and financed, saying it could include private equity investment.
In 2019, the California-based company acquired a 10% stake in City Football Group (CFG), which owns defending English Premier League champions Manchester City and teams in the United States, Australia and China.
Reporting by Paulina Duran in Sydney. Additional reporting by Praveen Menon in Wellington; Edited by
MIAMI, Fla .– As the national championship game draws closer, many Ohio state fans continue to travel to Miami despite the pandemic. Some even travel without a ticket to the game. What you need to know Fans traveled from Columbus to Miami for National Championship game despite pandemic Some fans went to Miami without even getting a ticket, hoping to get closer to game day With just 16,000 fans Allowed into the stadium, tickets are hard to come by and well over $ 1,000. Even though it doesn’t look like a typical national championship, Buckeye fans still flock to Miami in force. These four Buckeye fans are a few who are heading to the game or hoping to do so. For Jackie Hobson – a native of Columbus now living in Fort Lauderdale, going to a national championship near his home is a no-brainer “Even if you can’t get into the stadium you want to be in that atmosphere and I feel like I’m in 2020. , no one has really been able to do that, so I’m just excited to make it to the stadium and if I can get a ticket and grab this chance, I’m definitely going to do it, “Hobson said. Hobson went with it. a friend of the national championship in 2015 and they decided to make it a tradition. “If we ever get to this point, and of course the state of Ohio, we will come back to it, we have to go to every championship game national which we never get there, “said Hobson.” So we made that promise. “But for Hobson and other Buckeye fans, finding a ticket is always a challenge. With only 16,000 fans allowed inside the Hard Rock Stadium Prices Are Soaring Geor ge Cleary traveled from Columbus – hoping all will be well. the national championship and of course here we are, ”Cleary said. “It’s kind of an annual retreat for me and some friends from college. We went to New Orleans last year, unfortunately the Buckeyes weren’t there, but now that we’re in Miami I’m hoping we get some tickets. Cleary says that after spending several days in Miami, he noticed more Ohio State fans than Alabama fans. “I think we’re ready to come in and whatever the price is, the price is,” Cleary said. “But we’re really excited that the Buckeyes are here and want to make the most of the trip to Miami. Jon Goodpaster and Jason Nutter don’t have that problem. They’ve already had their tickets – thanks to a nice birthday present from the Goodpaster’s wife. “They wanted to take a birthday photo so they had the 50 year old glasses on and we had to put them on and hold up a poster, not knowing the poster said we were tied to the national championship game” said Goodpaster. “And that’s when they surprised us with tickets for our 50th birthday.” “We’re really so thankful that she thought about it first and then succeeded,” said Nutter said. “Like I said, it was overwhelming, we were in shock. Then it started hitting us the next morning and we started talking about it, and then the arousal level really went up at that point. “A level of arousal that will only increase as we go. we are getting closer to the kickoff.