The Frecce Tricolori is one of Italy’s national symbols, best known for emitting the tricolor feathers of the Italian flag.
The Italian air force formed the 313th Acrobatic Training Group, better known as the ‘Frecce Tricolori’ at Rivolto air base on 1 March 1961.
This week’s 60th anniversary marks the Frecce Tricolori’s inaugural flight of six North American F-86 Sabers from Grosseto to Rivolto, near Udine.
The Frecce Tricolori consists of 10 aircraft, nine flying in close formation plus soloists, and since 1982 the aircraft in use has been the two-seat Aermacchi MB-339-A / PAN combat trainer.
The military jet is piloted by officers from the Indonesian Air Force’s aviation operations department who follow a rigorous selection process to become part of the Pattuglia Acrobatica Nazionale (PAN) or the national aerobatic team.
Last year Frecce Tricolori went on a national tour with a symbolic sign of “unity, solidarity and restoration” during Italy. corona virus emergency state.
The tour kicks off on 25 May with Trento, Codogno, Milan, Turin and Aosta, culminating in an aerobatic show in Rome on 2 June, Republic Day.
Other overpasses include the inauguration of the new Genoa bridge in August, two years after the previous building collapsed in a disaster that claimed 43 lives.
This year the Frecce Tricolori held a flyover at the World Ski Championships in Cortina, emitting their signature red, white and green feathers from the Italian flag.
“The Frecce Tricolori is known, valued and brings our tricolor to the world,” Air Force chief General Alberto Rosso told the Italian news agency ANSA, adding:
“They symbolize that all of that is the technology, passion, abilities, skills and professionalism that Italy can export and bring to the world.”
Sindh governor Imran Ismail said monetary compensation for the heirs of each victim aboard the ill-fated PIA flight PK-8303 from Lahore to Karachi which crashed in the city’s Model Colony area last year had doubled to Rs10 million. .
He made this announcement during a speech at a press conference at the Governor’s Building on Tuesday with PIA Chief Executive Officer Arshad Malik. The governor said that the amount of compensation had been raised in light of the hardships of families who lost their closest and dearest in the air accident tragedy.
He noted that Prime Minister Imran Khan had issued a directive that the bereaved families should be given their full support. Ismail said the families of the 27 passengers had submitted certificates of succession and they had been paid some compensation.
He said, because the insurance company was involved in paying compensation to the victim’s family, it was necessary to apply for a succession certificate for that. He said that a team of lawyers linked to PIA had been formed so that succession certificates could be prepared for the remaining families.
According to the governor, baggage damaged by air crash will also be compensated, and Rs100,000 will be paid for each passenger. He noted that PIA has covered the burial costs of the victims of the air crash, and compensation has also been paid to people whose homes were destroyed or damaged in the incident.
He said the government had also paid for the treatment of people injured in the incident. The governor said he would personally meet affected families to find out about their problems.
The PIA CEO said on the occasion said payments had been made to compensate for the losses on the ground due to the air tragedy following their evaluation. He said payment was due if only four houses needed reconstruction or repair.
He claims, in this connection, there are certain individuals who gave false statements to increase the amount of compensation. He said compensation had been paid to the owners of 13 houses damaged in the incident. Malik said the air crash investigation would be completed in a transparent manner under the supervision of the Pakistani government. He said no stakeholder should be involved in the investigation process until it is complete.
The government has officially required nearly every traveler to New Zealand to test negative for Covid-19 before boarding a plane.
The new rules will come into effect at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, January 25 – this is in an effort to minimize disruption to passengers leaving soon.
This regulation was signed last week by Covid-19 Minister Chris Hipkins. Previously, only travelers from the UK and US needed to test negative in order to come to New Zealand.
Starting January 25, it has been extended to any incoming tourists, except Australia, Antarctica and most Pacific Island nations.
But not all Pacific Island countries are excluded – Papua New Guinea, which has nearly 1,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19, is not on the list.
Likewise with French Polynesia, where 17,000 cases have been confirmed and 126 people have died from Covid-19.
Hipkins also said that the Government was “exploring several possibilities” whether they could get a small amount of the Covid-19 vaccine to frontline workers earlier than previously hinted at.
“If we can do it, we will be able to do it very quickly – but it all depends on whether the vaccine company will supply it,” he told a news conference this afternoon.
He would not elaborate because it is “quite a sensitive international negotiation”.
Hipkins said the new measures would not stop Covid from entering the country, but the government’s aim was to reduce the number of cases.
He said nearly all travelers had complied with the rules so far, and airlines were “very supportive”.
“New Zealand is not alone here – many countries are now proposing this.”
Hipkins said airlines have been vigilant to ensure travelers have followed the rules before they board their flights to NZ.
Asked about New Zealand’s access to the Covid vaccine, Hipkins said “we are very close to the front of the queue”. The first deliveries will arrive in the first quarter – “that’s the earliest time we can get … that’s the reality of manufacturing”.
Starting February 8, all passengers arriving in New Zealand – except those from exempt countries – without evidence of an approved negative test or medical certificate will be subject to an offense fee or a fine of up to $ 1000.
Hipkins said that so far only one person from the US or UK has not tested negative for Covid-19.
He added that airlines are increasingly refusing to board people who fail to produce negative tests.
But he said the Government could increase the fine if there was a higher level of non-compliance.
In addition to the new pre-departure requirements, the Government has also changed the rules surrounding Covid-19 testing in New Zealand’s managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) facilities.
From now on, travelers arriving to New Zealand will be required to take the test on arrival – again, except for Australia, Antarctica and most Pacific Island countries.
They still have to undergo quarantine for 14 days, and undergo routine tests on the third and 12th day.
“New Zealand already has some of the strictest border protection measures in the world,” Hipkins said this morning.
“Today’s amendments further strengthen that position in line with the Government’s overall elimination strategy, and more actions can be added as needed.”
Asked about potential contact between people at MIQ facilities, such as in designated smoking areas, Hipkins said the Government has tightened social distancing measures.
Hipkins said the primary obligation was on travelers to comply with regulations – but airlines were also expected to play a role in checking whether passengers had negative test evidence.
Full list of countries and territories not included in the expanded pre-departure requirements:
• Antarctica • Australia • Cook Islands • Federated States of Micronesia • Fiji • Kiribati • Marshall Island • Nauru • New Caledonia • Niue • Palau • Samoa • Solomon Islands • Tokelau • Tonga • Tuvalu • Vanuatu • Wallis and Futuna.
While the airline said the decision reflected “expectations that international travel will resume from July 2021”, analysts were unsure.
Aviation expert and chairman of Strategic Aviation Solutions Neil Hansford said the move by the carrier was “purely commercial”.
With other airlines already making bookings for international travel, Qantas will need to board a plane to secure a seat.
“They (Qantas) are covering their base because everyone is speculating and getting their money,” said Hansford.
Mr Hansford said it was highly unlikely that anyone from Australia would travel to the US or UK this year and customers were being “very optimistic”.
“If anything opens up this year, it will be the bubbles of New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and maybe Japan and Korea and maybe Singapore, Cambodia and Vietnam, which are handling the virus very well.”
The comments appeared to be supported by the Federal Government, with Deputy Prime Minister and Transport Minister Michael McCormack issuing statements reminding the Qantas borders under the Government’s jurisdiction.
“International borders will be opened if international arrivals do not pose a risk to Australian citizens.
“The Australian government is working on travel arrangements with countries, such as New Zealand, which have low community infections.”
Vaccines remain the key to getting flying
IBISWorld senior industry analyst Tom Youl said it was not surprising there was a market for international travel despite lingering health risks.
“There are three main markets in tourism; corporate travelers, holiday makers and those visiting friends and family,” said Youl.
“The friends and family market will be the biggest focal point early on.
“Many people are desperate to see their families, it will be over a year [July] because they can fly [internationally]. “
But Mr Youl said optimism was starting to wane when it came to vaccines.
A Qantas spokesman said the company stuck to a November statement saying a vaccine was “key to restarting international travel with most other countries in the world”.
Mr Youl said Australia had been “somewhat slow in terms of vaccines”, meaning the majority of Australians were unlikely to get an injection in July.
“There’s no need to rush [in Australia],” she says.
“I don’t know how long it will take to reach the average Australian… but people will be optimistic and hope for a speedy rollout.”
Qantas doesn’t want to ‘catch up’
Mr Youl said even though Qantas had suffered losses over the past year, increased cash flow was unlikely to be the motivator behind advancing flights.
“This could be part of the story but with domestic operations going on again, that’s not a contributing factor,” he said.
“The main driver is that Qantas must be ready to go. It is much easier for them to delay a flight than to bring it forward quickly in a short period of time if the international journey continues without notification.
“It’s hard to catch up so they have to operate from the best case scenario and push back if they need to.”
Mr Hansford agreed and said the “real problem” for airlines was getting their fleets back to Australia.
“They have to bring back the Airbus from the desert in America. It will take about a month to get it back,” he said.
But a Qantas spokesman said this was not a problem as nearly all of the airline’s Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners fleet were in Australia and were actively flying.
“Of the 11 planes, nine are actively flying, one will return to fly next week, and the other is stored in LA which is expected to resume operations around February,” they said.