The arrest of the suspect in the DHA abduction case was extended again
Anti-terrorism court administration judges on Monday extended the detention of two suspects in police custody a week after their question about the abduction of Bisma Saleem last year and Dua Mangi was still ongoing.
The judge extended the physical detention of Zohaib Qureshi and Muzaffar Hussain for another seven days, sought progress reports from investigators and ordered police to arrest the suspects who had escaped and present them at the next trial.
The suspects were returned in cases related to kidnapping, attacking and wounding an official during a shootout and possessing illegal weapons. Earlier, the IO told the court that Dua identified the suspects as his captors in the identification parade before the Southern District Court Judge on March 30.
The officer said the police needed an extension to detain suspects because these people also needed to identify the parade in other cases against them. Karachi police chief announced on March 18 the arrest of the two men over their alleged involvement in the abduction of Bisma Saleem and Dua Mangi last year.
Additional Inspector General of Police (IGP Addl) Ghulam Nabi Memon made the announcement during a media briefing. Deputy Inspector General Arif Hanif and other officials from the police department and the Sindh Rangers were also present at the occasion.
Memon said Bisma was kidnapped on May 12 and Dua on November 30 from the DHA high-class neighborhood, and their abduction for a ransom case was filed at the Darakhshan police station.
He said the investigation of the two cases was carried out by the Criminal Investigation Agency, the Anti Violence Criminal Cell, the intelligence agency and other law enforcement departments. He added that the Sindh government was mainly focused on resolving these cases, and in this case, the chief provincial minister held several meetings to facilitate the police.
The IGP Addl said the Karachi police, Sindh Rangers, the Citizen-Police Liaison Committee and intelligence agencies were on the same page and worked together to resolve these cases by analyzing them from various aspects.
He said that these cases were a major challenge for all relevant institutions, especially the kidnapping of Dua, which was highlighted in a way that the state seemed powerless in front of the perpetrators because the investigators apparently failed to track and arrest the perpetrators.
However, he added, the reality is different: the police and all related agencies make the best use of their resources and work with full dedication to track down five suspects believed to be involved in the case.
The police chief said that finally, two of them had been arrested, namely Zohaib Qureshi, son of Mumtaz Qureshi, and Muzaffar Hussain, aka Muzzi, son of Rafiq Hussain. They were arrested in Karachi and weapons used in the abductions were also confiscated from them, he added.
He said the perpetrators were still at large fired by assistant sub-inspector Agha Mansoor and his accomplices Shakeel and Kamran, aka Kami. Their leader is Mansoor, who has provided accomplices with SIM cards and other related assistance, he added.
Memon said the arrested suspects told police that a plan to kidnap Bisma and Dua had been made by Mansoor, who also rented a flat in Clifton Block-2, where the two abducted girls were kept until their release after receiving their ransom.
He said the suspects also claimed to have tried to avoid being tracked using technical equipment, including social networking applications, but they had failed in their efforts. He added that the CM appreciated the efforts made by the police and other departments, and that a request was also submitted to the chief executive for giving Rs2 million to the robbers.
The IGP Addl said they would also ask the Sindh government to announce the provision of Rs 5 million in advance in the case of the perpetrators who were still at large. He said the detained suspects were ordinary criminals, who had previously also been involved in transporting vehicles and other kidnappings, while a few months ago, their gang was involved in a shootout with police in the Eastern District, but they managed to escape, leaving a police officer. injured.
He made a guarantee that the police would provide complete protection for Bisma and Dua’s family. He confirmed that no suspect had a political guise. He also confirmed that the gang consisted of female members, and that they did recce potential victims before their abduction.