A special Singapore Airlines flight with nearly 200 Australians in it finally left Phnom Penh with passengers who wanted to return home amid lockdowns in Cambodia and neighboring countries due to the corona virus.
“The plane has successfully departed from Phnom Penh,” a spokesman for the Australian embassy in Cambodia told reporters.
Foreign Minister Marise Payne also confirmed the flight, tweeting that “the Australian Embassy in Cambodia [and] DFAT in Canberra has worked together to help 184 Australians & families leave Phnom Penh today. We thank you for all the good work that made this happen. “
The embassy said in a statement that 164 Australian citizens, plus 20 permanent residents and family members boarding the plane as a regular commercial option “dried up quickly”.
“So we decided to facilitate this one-time unscheduled flight to the country of transit, which was then connected to scheduled flights with the same plane to Sydney,” he said. “Passengers pay for economy and business seats.”
Cambodia has been criticized for its slow response to the coronavirus pandemic, but attitudes have hardened recently and Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday morning canceled the annual Khmer New Year celebration next week. Heavy travel restrictions were also imposed between provinces earlier this week which added a sense of urgency to flights, with Australians living in rural areas told to travel quickly to the capital to avoid being locked out of the airport.
The embassy said that it needed “a lot of work to make this happen” in “challenging circumstances” and added that this would also help reduce pressure on the Cambodian health care system, which Australia continues to support through its assistance program.
“It’s great to be able to help Australians reconnect with loved ones at home through this flight,” Ambassador Pablo Kang said in his Twitter feed. “We thank all those involved, including the government, for their help, and our passengers for their patience and understanding.” Everyone aboard the ship is expected to immediately go into exile on their own when they arrive in Sydney.
NEW YORK, FLAT CHEAP BUT DEATH BUT DEATH ‘VERY HIGH’
The State of New York sees “leveling” of the level of new corona virus cases and deaths, but the number of deaths is still “at a very high rate” – with 758 others dying overnight, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Sunday (local time).
It was the sixth day in a row that the state death toll remained in the 700s – and the governor warned that the virus was moving to the suburbs and rural areas in the state, report the New York Post.
“I think you will see more growth in places with less population,” Governor Cuomo said.
As for the general figures at the moment, “you don’t see a big drop in numbers, but you see leveling out,” the governor said at a press conference.
Governor Cuomo said of the recent death, “You see the recurrence of terrible news, which is a lost life.”
The new figure dropped slightly from 783 deaths from the corona virus recorded on Friday night to Saturday.
A total of 9385 people have now died as a result of transmission in the state – or more than three times the number of victims, 2735, on 9/11, the governor added.
8,236 other people tested positive for transmission, bringing the total of the new state to 188,694. The City of New York is the largest part of that number, or 103,208, with 4,900 a night.
However, Governor Cuomo said the number of additional beds needed for coronavirus patients in the past 24 hours was 53, “which is the lowest number since we started doing this chart.
“The change in the total number of hospitalizations has fallen again. These are the numbers we watch because of our great fear of always flooding the hospital system, “he said.
Now there are 18,700 people treated in hospitals with the virus, Governor Cuomo said.
The number of people who use a “ticking” ventilator is 110 – and “most people who are intubated won’t get out of the ventilator,” Cuomo said, “so it’s not good.”
Asked by a reporter at the reporter what he would do if he was infected with a virus, Governor Cuomo replied, “My plan is to do this from home.”
ITALY, SPAIN SEE SOME LIGHT
Italy has recorded the lowest number of deaths from the new corona virus in three weeks, saying 431 people died on the last day bringing the total to 19,899.
It is the lowest daily sacrifice since March 19.
To run the ninth day, intensive care admissions dropped and overall hospital admissions dropped.
More than 4000 people tested positive when Italy began its fifth week under national lockdown, continuing the general leveling in the infection curve.
But officials have noted that Italy has also increased its testing capacity in recent days, producing more positive cases but allowing more effective quarantine measures for people once they know they are infected.
Italy passed one million signs of a virus test on Sunday (local time), doubling the number of tests since the end of March. Overall, 156,363 people have been confirmed as positive, although officials noted that the actual number of infected could be as much as 10 times, especially in the devastated Lombardy.
Meanwhile, Italian civil protection agents have arranged for rescued migrants to be placed in quarantine to check for corona virus infections on ships or on land.
Civil protection chief Angelo Borrelli said he signed the order after Italy banned foreign-flagged migrant rescue vessels from its ports last week.
Borrelli said the new provisions would apply to provide medical and quarantine checks for 156 migrants currently aboard the German-flagged charity rescue ship, Alan Kurdi. Migrants who reach Italy alone will be quarantined on land.
Meanwhile, Spain has reported the lowest daily growth in coronavirus infections confirmed in three weeks as it prepares to loosen tight locking measures and allow some workers to return to their jobs.
Spanish health authorities have reported 4167 new cases confirmed over the past 24 hours. Total countries at 166,019, second only to the United States.
Deaths in Spain have reached a total of 16,972, with 619 new deaths confirmed since Saturday. More than 60,000 patients have recovered from COVID-19 in Spain.
The state on Monday will allow workers in industry and construction to return to work after the closure of two weeks of economic activity in addition to health care and the food industry.
Those who can work from home are strongly encouraged by the authorities to continue to do so. Retail stores will remain closed in addition to supermarkets, fruit stalls, bakeries, butchers, newsstands, and pharmacies.
AUSTRALIAN NEW VIRUS DETECTION DEVICE
Meanwhile, Aussie scientists are developing simple, usable patches that are able to detect which COVID-19 patients are most likely to develop severe forms of the disease and need a ventilator.
Australian National University researcher Professor Mark Kendall has developed a microwave sensor that attaches to the patient’s skin and measures fluid in the skin that contains disease markers.
The device will be worn by the patient like a watch.
Severely ill patients with COVID-19 suffer when their immune system overdrive releases an inflammatory factor called cytokines, which clog their lungs with fluid.
One of these cytokines IL-6 is very low in healthy people and research in Germany has found higher levels of IL-6 can predict whether a patient gets worse and may need a ventilator.
The device, developed by ANO and WearOptimo based in Brisbane, will allow measurement of IL-6 levels in patients in real time.
“Real-time testing of IL-6 in positive COVID-19 patients hospitalized is a game changer we need to accurately identify those who are most likely to need valuable ICU resources,” said respiratory and intensive care doctor Professor Keith McNeil .
“That will enable more effective planning of the needs and use of these resources, and signal those who need more intensive early intervention to potentially avoid more severe damage.”
Appears as said by Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at Oxford University Time His newspaper “80 percent sure” that the vaccine developed by his team will work and be available in September.
Vaccine trials in humans will begin in the next two weeks.
And the drug that caused the birth of thousands of deformed babies, Thalidomide, has emerged as a potential treatment for COVID-19.
Although it is no longer used to treat nausea caused by pregnancy thalidomide it is still used as an anti-inflammatory to treat several lung conditions, skin lesions and strep throat in HIV and cancer patients.
Researchers at Wenzhou Medical University are testing treatments in combination with several hormones in a randomized trial of 100 patients with COVID-19 with the study to be reported at the end of May.
RISK OF DEATH AUSTRALIAN DEATH AS A BUSINESS BACK FROM OVERSEAS
Australia’s chief medical officer Brendan Murphy said the country was “in a good place” in its fight against the corona virus when the number of deaths rose to three to 59.
Mr Murphy said, “there is no place in the world that I want than Australia at the moment”.
Australia now has 6,299 confirmed cases of the new corona virus.
Mr Murphy said people in the community were still transmitting the virus so it was necessary to “continue to pressure us and ensure that we do not end up like the countries in the world that you all see on the news”.
He said the country was “in a good place … but we must maintain that good place”.
Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said it would be “very dangerous and unrealistic” to remove social distance restrictions too quickly.
He said the restrictions would continue to apply throughout Australia “as long as needed” based on medical advice.
NSW recorded the death of another coronavirus – a man in his 80s, who had been in close contact with someone diagnosed with the virus.
The man has no connection with the cruise ship Ruby Princess, NSW health authorities have confirmed.
In Tasmania, a woman in her 70s died at the North-West Regional Hospital in Burnie, said Prime Minister Peter Gutwein.
In Adelaide, a 74-year-old man – a patient at the Royal Adelaide Hospital – died as well. South Australia’s health was confirmed on Sunday morning.
RETURNING FROM OVERSEAS
Travelers from Australia who had been trapped for a long time from Peru, Uruguay, India and Nepal flowed through Sydney and Melbourne before being transported to hotels for two weeks of quarantine.
Nearly 100 of them spent weeks stranded on Antarctic cruises off the coast of Uruguay while 63 others left Kathmandu on flights supported by the Canadian government.
“Thank you also to the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi and the Government of Canada. To do what you do from afar … go, “The Australian Ambassador to Nepal, Peter Budd, tweeted on Saturday (11 April).
More than 100 Australian passengers from the Antarctic cruise ship Greg Mortimer arrived in Melbourne from Uruguay.
Deputy Head of the Victoria Health Service, Dr Annaliese van Diemen said up to 70 percent of the people – an estimated 80 people – on the Melbourne flight might suffer from the corona virus.
Dr Annaliese van Diemen said preparations were underway to test and quarantine those who were on repatriation flights from Peru, Delhi and Uruguay.
“Everyone will be judged when they get off the flight by a medical flight by the medical team,” said Dr van Diemen.
“If the assessment determines they need to be tested, then yes they will be tested.”
Passengers will undergo isolation for 14 days in a hotel.
In the US, the death toll soared to 20,000 after more than 2,000 people died in a day.
Victims of global infection on early Sunday are 1.75 million with almost 110,000 deaths.