Tag Archives: Secretary of State

Pompeo stepped back from his theory and Trump pushed that the coronavirus originated from the Wuhan laboratory US & World News | Instant News


(CNN) – State Secretary Mike Pompeo appears to be backing away from the theory that he and President Donald Trump are pushing for corona virus pandemic might come from a laboratory in Wuhan, China.

Pompeo said in an interview with Breitbart that was broadcast Saturday that “we know it started in Wuhan, but we don’t know where or from whom, and those are important things.”

“We have repeatedly requested that the team come in to help them identify where the virus came from,” the secretary said.

Pompeo for weeks openly supported the theory that the virus that had infected more than 1,400,000 Americans came from the Wuhan Virology Institute, claiming in an interview earlier this month that there is “very large evidence” and “a lot of evidence” this is the problem. He later admitted that he could not confirm its origin and that the evidence that it came from “around” the Wuhan laboratory “could be wrong.”

While Trump also claims that he has seen evidence linking the outbreak to the Wuhan laboratory, assessments by scientists and those circulating among US intelligence allies stated that “it is highly unlikely” the virus originated in the laboratory. The US intelligence community said they were looking for both possibilities.

The Chinese government has pushed back the claim, describing it as a “blemish” intended to increase the chances of Trump’s re-election.

Pompeo repeatedly condemned Beijing for its lack of transparency regarding a pandemic.

In his interview with Breitbart, Pompeo stressed that knowing where the plague began was the “key” to scientists working to develop vaccines, and blamed China for “trying … to undermine the central understanding of transparency that every country must fulfill.”

Pompeo also confirmed that The US intends to punish China for a global pandemic, but noted that “the exact mechanism we will choose – I want to make sure (Trump) has the opportunity to get full direction and make that decision.”

CNN reported in late April that the Trump administration was formulate a long-term plan to punish China in various fields for this deadly plague. Various sources in the administration say they are considering various tools, including sanctions, canceling US debt obligations and drawing up new trade policies, to explain to China, and to everyone, where they feel the responsibility lies.

Nectar Gan, Stephen Collinson, and Kylie Atwood from CNN contributed to this report.

.



image source

The Swiss Economic Secretary apologizes for the warning against international travel until 2021 | Instant News



The Swiss Economic Secretary of State has apologized after warning citizens not to travel internationally until 2021. Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Erik Jakob suggested that Swiss residents should not plan holidays because of the uncertainty surrounding international travel in a coronavirus pandemic. recommendation, I will postpone my trip abroad until next year “, Jakob said. The Foreign Minister added that even if air travel continued, it would remain uncertain for a considerable period of time. He also warned that there would be no guarantee that citizens could drive across borders this summer, but did not rule it out completely. The comments sparked protests in the country’s tourism industry, and the Swiss Travel Association (SRV) reported that the statement caused “a storm of anger among members”. The SRV confirmed to Euronews that they had received an apology from Erik Jakob, clarifying the comments. “My statement … is not intended at all” This is an official recommendation to postpone all holiday trips abroad from 2020 to 2021, “Jakob wrote to the SRV, as reported by TravelInside.” What I said … about the virus Corona causes you worry and lack of understanding. I can understand that. “The Secretary of State for Economic Affairs said his response to the question was” personal recommendations “and related to the 2020 summer holiday period.” “During the media conference, I stressed several times that it was very difficult to make definitive statements about the resumption of international tourism.” Jakob stated in his letter that this was due to a number of factors, including the opening of borders and sanitation measures, and referred to the analysis of the UN World Tourism Organization “I want to apologize for the commotion caused by my statement in your circle.” SRV has confirmed to Euronews that this letter of apology was sent to their members. Jakob is expected to be questioned about his statement at an upcoming press conference. The Swiss Travel Association has previously sent a letter to the Federal council calling for “necessary steps” to support the country’s travel industry and customers. In his apology letter, Erik Jak ob said that the Directorate of Location Promotion “worked hard” to find a solution for the travel agent sector. The authorities have indicated they want to increase domestic tourism in 2020 through a coordinated program with the travel industry sector. During Monday’s press conference, Jakob underlined that Swiss operators are likely to experience demand declines by up to 80% this year. Jakob also said that he predicted the impact on the industry would be long-lasting, with things unlikely to return to normal until 2022. President Simonetta Sommaruga said the government would examine options, coordinated with the tourism industry, by mid-May. Meanwhile the Federal Council has introduced ease of restrictions, allowing hospitals to resume all medical procedures on Monday. Self service facilities, florists, hairdressers and dental operations have also been reopened under certain conditions. The Federal Council will decide on Wednesday whether to open schools, shops and kets on May 11. Switzerland has confirmed that at least 29,264 people tested positive for COVID-19, with more than 1,380 deaths, on April 28. .



image source