Tag Archives: selection

Sajid was very happy when he was selected for the SA test | Instant News


KARACHI: Sajid Khan, an emerging off-spinner and leading goalkeeper from the recently completed Quaid-e-Azam Cup, said on Sunday he would do his best to meet the bill if given the opportunity to represent Pakistan against South Africa. in the two-match Test series.

“If I get the chance, I will try to give my best,” he told a virtual press conference.

Sajid was the only off-spinner specialist in Pakistan’s early 20 member squad. The first of two series of matches begins at the National Stadium starting 26 January.

Sajid completed the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy with 67 scalps for his award representing Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in a six-team event.

His contribution helped his team share the QT trophy with Central Punjab after the final ended with a pulsating match here at the National Stadium earlier this month when Sajid took over the goal of Waqas Maqsood, held by Kamran Ghulam midway through the match.

Sajid said he could not express how happy he was for his selection in the 20-man squad. “I am very happy. I do well and are rewarded. I feel extraordinary, “said Sajid.

Sajid was sure that he had the ability to click without a doosra. “There are some successful spinners without doosra. And InsyaAllah I will appear without prayer, ”said Sajid, who followed Mohammad Hafeez and Saqlain Mushtaq as his role models.

“I didn’t target any hitters from South Africa. I will throw my way of playing domestic cricket. I will bowl to see the behavior of the goal and will try to take advantage of the weaknesses of the batsmen, “said Sajid.

When asked if he was not selected in the final 16-man squad how he would react, Sajid said it was still a great opportunity for him to be selected in the 20-member squad.

“Coming with 20 squad members is no small feat. It is a great honor for me that I have been named in the squad of 20 people out of a whole 200 million population. If I sit outside and Pakistan keep beating South Africa it will be a huge honor for me, “he said.

Sajid said choosing the best domestic cricket player would also motivate other youngsters and they would also try to click at the domestic level to find a place in the national team.

“Our coach Abdul Razzaq was having a meeting when the news came that I had been selected in the Pakistani team. This is a proud moment for me and the whole family, “he said.

Sajid said he would study in the national team camp. “I will learn when I join the stronghold of the national team and share the dressing room. It will build my confidence, ”said the spinner.

Sajid said that the live broadcast of the Quaid-e-Azam Cup match helped the players.

.



image source

Germany signs construction of Nord Stream 2 on its waters | Instant News


German authorities have granted permission for the construction of Russia’s Nord Stream 2 subsea gas pipeline to proceed despite threats of US sanctions and opposition from environmental groups.

The Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency (BSH) decision of January 15 is still subject to appeal.

Environmental Action Germany (DUH), which campaigns to protect the environment, said it would challenging the decision in court, arguing that the “mega fossil fuel” project threatens the climate and some of the most important migratory bird habitats in Europe on the German Baltic Sea coast.

The US government and some EU members want to prevent the pipeline from being completed, saying it will strengthen Russia’s energy hold on Europe and weaken Ukraine’s role as a transit country for Russian gas.

The pipeline, designed to double the capacity of the existing subsea Nord Stream gas pipeline from Russia to Germany, has become a point of contention between Berlin and Washington.

German Foreign Minister Heiko Mass said on January 15 that he hoped to hold high-level talks with the upcoming Biden administration about possible new US sanctions on the project.

The threat of US sanctions forced the Swiss-based piping company to suspend construction on Nord Stream 2 in December 2019 shortly before completion.

Nord Stream 2, led by Russian gas giant Gazprom, has to carry a different type of ship, which other ships are moving or holding, requiring a new permit.

The Russian ship, called Fortuna, completed a 2.6-kilometer section of each branch of the gas pipeline inside Germany’s exclusive economic zone in December 2020 but its permits expired at the end of the year.

The new agreement allows work to continue in Germany’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) through May.

Fortuna left the port city of Wismar in Germany on January 14 and moved towards the construction zone, reports Germany’s public broadcaster NDR.

Separately, the Danish authorities said work near the island of Bornholm would begin from January 15 with Fortuna’s participation.

However, a spokesman for Nord Stream 2 said the German business daily Handelsblatt that the ship is not expected to start laying pipelines until late January or early February.

According to Gazprom, 94 percent of the pipeline has been completed. The remaining about 150 kilometers – or 75 kilometers on any parallel line – 120 kilometers of which are in Danish waters and 30 kilometers in German waters.

With reporting by AP, dpa, NDR, and Handelsblatt

.



image source

Rights Group Criticizes Iran’s Ban on US, UK’s COVID-19 Vaccines | Instant News


Iran has been criticized by international rights groups for putting politics above its own people after Tehran banned the UK and US imports of COVID-19 vaccines.

The criticism came after Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on January 8 that imports of US and UK vaccines into Iran were “prohibited.”

US companies Pfizer and Moderna, as well as Britain’s AstraZeneca, have developed a coronavirus vaccine that has been distributed to millions of people in the United States, United Kingdom and around the world.

But Khamenei claimed on Iranian state television and on Twitter that the vaccines being developed in the United States and Britain were “completely untrustworthy.”

Khamenei said, “It is not impossible that they want to pollute other countries.”

The tweet also claims that the French coronavirus vaccine “cannot be trusted.”

Twitter has hidden the English version of Khamenei’s post on the grounds that it is a dangerous conspiracy theory that threatens the lives of people around the world.

But tweets on the Iranian leader’s Persian-language account making a similar claim were still visible as of January 9.

The World Health Organization (WHO) responded to these claims by urging countries not to politicize the distribution of the COVID vaccine.

Bruce Aylward, senior adviser to the WHO director general, said, “It is really time to put politics aside and make sure the vaccine gets to the people who need it.”

Mansoureh Mills, a researcher for Amnesty International who specializes in Iran, said the ban by the Iranian authorities “goes hand in hand with the authorities’ decades-long humiliation of human rights, including the right to life and health.”

Mills added: “It is reckless that Iran’s supreme leader plays millions of lives by putting politics above people. Iranian authorities must stop shamelessly disregarding their international human rights obligations by willfully denying people the right to protection from the deadly virus that has killed. more people. than 55,000 people in this country. “

The Iranian Red Crescent says the ban means the 150,000 doses of Pfizer vaccine that American philanthropists have donated will no longer enter the country.

Karim Sadjadpour, a senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for Peace, noted on Twitter that Khamenei’s long-time personal doctor, Alireza Marandi, was trained in the United States but he “prohibits residents from benefiting from Western medicine.”

“The welfare of the Iranian people has suffered greatly because of this ancient ideology,” said Sadjadpour.

More than 1.2 million people have been infected by the coronavirus in Iran. The official death toll in Iran from COVID-19 is more than 56,000.

Iranian authorities say they are developing their own COVID vaccine. They say they started human trials in December and hope to start distributing a version of their vaccine in the spring.

Even if they meet that schedule, their work is far behind that of developing a vaccine by British and US companies that underwent months of extensive testing before being approved by national and international regulators.

Reported by AP, BBC, and Arabnews.com

.



image source

Buzz Bites: Raising Cane’s hit the road with a new food truck | Buzz | Instant News


This week’s Buzz Bites has the latest info on new food truck options and the rest of the Christmas season fundraising day.

At Raising Cane’sIf you’ve always wanted to get chicken fingers and supplies off the food truck with disco balls, Raising Cane’s is here to help. The new food truck will be launched at the start of the new year.

Designed by Cruising Kitchens, the new food truck will be in operation in the spring to stop at music festivals, hospitals, community centers, sporting events and other places where people just happen to like to eat chicken. Fans – make it Caniacs – will see all kinds of clever details from tiger-patterned seats to hood ornaments to disco ball hubcaps.

If you’re a fan of the Motor Trend Channel, you’ve probably seen the new winning vehicle segment at the season finale “Built for Business” on Christmas Eve.

This excitement is ahead of the restaurant chain’s 25th anniversary, which is coming up in August.

In Nelson 151Four dates remain in Nelson 151’s 11th annual Christmas Day 12 fundraiser, which raises money to help the Nelson County Pantry. Over the years, the initiative has raised and donated more than $ 25,000 to local nonprofits that help neighbors in Nelson.

Plan to stop by Blue Toad Hard Cider on Thursday, Veritas Vineyard & Winery on Friday, Hill Top Berry Farm on Saturday and Flying Fox Vineyard on Sunday, as a portion of each day’s sales will go towards helping the pantry feed more than 700 local residents every month. Get all the details at nelson151.com.

.



image source

German MP Says Orban’s ‘National-Populist’ Approach Will Not Fix Social Problems | Instant News


The chairman of the European People’s Party (EPP) – the largest group in the European Parliament – sharply criticized the policies of Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban in an opinion piece published on December 27 by a German newspaper.

Dismantling of the rule of law, nationalism or divisions are not effective tools for overcoming social challenges, writes the conservative member of the European Parliament (MEP) Manfred Weber of Germany in Welt am Sonntag.

“The tremendous economic, social and social turmoil cannot be overcome with a populist-national political approach or a cultural war, as requested by Hungarian Prime Minister Orban,” said Weber.

The center-right EPP suspended the suspension of Fidesz Orban’s party in November 2019 due to concerns about a decline in the rule of law in Hungary as well as attacks on the European Commission.

The suspension, which this year was extended indefinitely, means that Fidesz is no longer present at the group’s meetings and his voting rights have been revoked.

Weber’s essay was published a week after Orban compared the European Union to the Soviet Union regime in an interview with the newspaper.

“Anyone who equates the European Union with the authoritarian communist Soviet regime wants to destroy the Europe that was built by a generation of politicians Helmut Kohl,” he added.

The European Union is not a “cash cow” to share but a community of shared fates and values, said Weber.

“They are primarily about individual dignity, regardless of whether you are in a dynamic European region or in a refugee camp in Lesbos, whether you are Christian, Jewish or Muslim.”

Orban often argues that migrants from the Middle East and Africa should be kept away in order to preserve the Christian character of Hungarian culture.

His government argues that nation-states should have control of their own borders and accuses the European Union of trying to force it to accept mass immigration.

Orban’s interviews with the newspapers came three days after the European Union’s top court ruled that Hungary was breaking the law by preventing some immigrants from seeking asylum and transferring many to transit camps.

The European Commission – the bloc’s 27-member executive body – launched legal proceedings against an asylum law passed by Orban’s right-wing government in 2015 at the height of the migrant crisis.

The European Court (ECJ) has largely supported the commission, finding that Hungarian authorities failed to comply with procedures and needed bail.

Hungary, along with Poland, is also under an EU investigation for undermining the independence of the judiciary, media and nongovernmental organizations.

For weeks the governments of both countries blocked passing a package that includes coronavirus aid seen as essential to the hard-hit EU economy over a recently introduced clause relating to funding for whether members enforce the rule of law.

EU leaders earlier this month reached an agreement to unblock funding and start implementing it.

With reporting by dpa and Welt am Sonntag

.



image source