LONDON (Reuters) – The Chinese ambassador to London frankly warned Britain on Thursday that they have no future if they try to separate themselves from the communist state.
“It’s hard to imagine a ‘Global Britain’ that bypasses or excludes China, separating from China means separating from opportunities, separating from growth and separating from the future,” Chinese ambassador to London Liu Xiaoming told reporters.
He said Britain would “pay the price” if it wanted to treat China as a hostile country.
FILE PHOTOS: A view shows the Huawei logo at the headquarters of Huawei Technologies France in Boulogne-Billancourt near Paris, France, July 15, 2020. REUTERS / Gonzalo Fuentes
MILAN (Reuters) – Huawei Technologies will continue to work with Telecom Italia (TLIT.MI) although it was closed from a recent tender to supply new generation 5G technology, the group’s Italian unit chairman told a newspaper on Monday.
Luigi De Vecchis said the decision to exclude Huawei from supplying the new generation of 5G services in Britain was “geopolitical, not a technological decision” but Telecom Italia’s decision was different.
“We respect the decision, which is commercial rather than political, involving one of the many parts of the network,” he said.
“Of course we are sorry, this is not a party but we continue to work with the TEAM as well as with Vodafone and others.”
The US government has urged allies to exclude the Chinese telecommunications giant from the new generation of Western communications infrastructure because of the dangers that could make China open up strategic opportunities to spy on the West.
Reporting by James Mackenzie, Elvira Pollina, edited by Gianluca Semeraro
(Reuters) – A decision on the main legal aspects of the trial on whether Huawei Technologies Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou can be extradited to the United States from Canada will be announced next Wednesday, the Supreme Court of British Columbia said on Thursday.
FILE PHOTOS: Huawei’s Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou left his home to attend an extradition hearing at the BC Supreme Court in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada January 23, 2020. REUTERS / Jennifer Gauthier / Photo File
Meng was arrested in December 2018 at Vancouver International Airport at the request of the United States on charges of bank fraud, and was accused of misleading HSBC about belonging to Huawei Technologies Co Ltd owned [HWT.UL]company transactions with Iran.
Meng, 48, said he was innocent and fought against extradition.
This case has strained relations between Ottawa and Beijing.
The verdict will deal with multiple criminal charges, deciding whether Mr. Meng’s actions were a crime in Canada and the United States at the time of his arrest.
Lawyer Meng argues that unlike the United States, Canada does not have sanctions against Iran when Canadian officials allow the start of the extradition process, which means that Meng’s arrest does not meet the double criminal law standard.
Canadian prosecutors argue that Meng should be extradited on fraud charges, and that contrary to his defense arguments, this case is not solely about violating US sanctions against Iran.
If the judge decides that Meng’s actions are not a crime in Canada, the rest of his case “dies,” said Gary Botting, a criminal lawyer and extradition expert based in Vancouver. “If the double crime standard falls, he can go home. Not just walking but flying.”
Arguments about multiple criminal charges took place in January in Vancouver.
A court memo on Thursday said British Columbia’s Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Heather Holmes would lead the trial directly by Meng and other parties, as soon as the decision was issued at 11 pm PDT (1800 GMT) next Wednesday.
The second phase of the trial, focusing on the abuse of the process and whether Canadian officials followed the law when arresting Meng, will begin in June. Closing arguments are expected in the last week of September and the first week of October.
It may be years before a final decision is reached, because the Canadian justice system allows many decisions to be appealed.
Reporting by Moira Warburton in Toronto; Editing by Denny Thomas and and Peter Cooney
PHOTO FILE: A cameraman noted during the Huawei stream product launch event in Barcelona, Spain February 24, 2020. REUTERS / Nacho Doce
LONDON (Reuters) – The British government made a firm decision to allow Huawei China to have a role in building the 5G telephone network in the country and insofar as foreign ministry officials understood it was not reopened, he said on Tuesday.
Britain decided in January to allow Huawei to enter into what the government said was an insensitive part of its 5G network, limiting its involvement to 35%.
Asked whether he would advise the foreign minister to try to change the government’s position on Huawei, Simon McDonald, permanently under the secretary and head of diplomatic services at the foreign ministry, told MPs: “As you know … the government decided to continue with investment but with very strict conditions … As far as I know that … is a firm decision and not reopened. ”
“China is a very important partner from the United Kingdom and I think it is compatible to continue with Huawei’s decision and have a strategic independent relationship that I have talked about.”