Tag Archives: senior

My Neighbors Penrose’s Wardrobe food bank needs financial help keeping it open | Instant News


PENROSE, Colo. – The only food bank in Penrose is at risk of closing because the building it operates in is for sale, with a January 1 deadline for the organization to buy facilities or move elsewhere.

My Neighbors Wardrobe first opened in May 2018 after its founder and CEO, Amanda Suddoth, moved to town. He has been running a food aid program since 2013 in the Black Forest to help people struggling after what was, at the time, one of Colorado’s most destructive wildfires.

“When we first came here, it was very clear, after working with several other organizations, that there wasn’t such support here for such a huge population,” Suddoth said.

The nearest food bank or food pantry to Penrose is a short drive from the highway – too far, says Suddoth, for seniors, veterans and the many working families he can feed from his building.

If someone comes into the wardrobe, he only asks those who are senior, veteran, or hired. Because he doesn’t take people’s income and personal information, he can’t get money from the state and federal governments. He only believed that people came to him in times of need.

“We remove that burden. We’re not asking about your finances because, to be honest, it’s none of my business. All I need to know is if you are hungry, “he said.

Amanda Suddoth describes how she hoped to provide a different kind of food aid:

Neighbors Wardrobe I have been recognized by Caring and Sharing a food bank as a “Community Champion” because it “is an important ally in the fight against hunger in Southern Colorado.”

Suddoth’s intention to keep information confidential and create a low barrier for people to receive food takes away the stigma, and often insults, of seeing people coming together when they are in a position of needing help.

There were a lot more of those people who showed up in his building after the pandemic started.

“We have met many new neighbors. Many new neighbors and I tell you, we still know each of them. “Said Suddoth.

So far this year, the organization has distributed 1.2 million pounds of food to more than 33,000 people – a four-fold increase from 2019.


How to donate to My Neighbors Wardrobe:


As well as in buildings (which store thousands of pounds of food), Suddoth hosts massive drive-up food pick-ups in other small and remote towns where food aid is rare. Westcliffe and Cotapaxi are two of these cities.

His most recent drive-up event on November 21 had 200 cars in line before they started handing out food. They donated food from 7am until after 5pm that day.

The financial stress that affects the people Suddoth helps ultimately affects the people who help him.

Informally, he and his volunteers started providing food to needy people in 2015 at Penrose and moved into the building at 409 Broadway in 2018. The owner donated six months of rent to Suddoth. It has been extended for a while, until Suddoth receives the email this fall.

“At the same time the pandemic hits us all, they afflict them too, and they have to give their finances back so they can take care of their medical bills and their survival too,” he said. “They never asked us for anything, but they were always kind enough to give us this space.”

He hopes to raise $ 120,000 to buy the building outright to continue providing the food they need. The due date is January 1, and he says because his organization doesn’t take federal or state funding, mortgages aren’t eligible for Wardrobe to operate.

Suddoth always asks for food donations, never asks for money.

“We need help, friends. I don’t like reaching out and asking questions but, I’m asking on behalf of 33,000 people who won’t have these resources in January, ”he said.

.



image source

The Trump administration wants to cut food stamps for thousands of seniors, lawmakers say | Instant News


More than 8,000 poor elderly citizens in Illinois and other states are facing “catastrophic” results under the Trump administration’s plan to cut food stamps allowances by January 1, according to lawmakers.

Senator Dick Durbin and other Illinois lawmakers have urged the US Department of Agriculture to extend benefits, which are for poor elderly living in one of 154 supportive living facilities across the state, according to a November 18th letter to USDA secretary Sonny Perdue.

The agency did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

The 20-year-old program helps low-income seniors by allowing their facilities to collect food stamp allowances and buy food on their behalf, with lawmakers noting that this helps disabled and elderly people who cannot go to the grocery store. Facilities in states from Alabama to Tennessee will also be affected, although most living supporting facilities are located in Illinois.

The decision to limit the program to the end of the year will prove problematic on a number of levels, Illinois lawmakers said in their letter to the USDA. “It is unacceptable to leave 8,000 elderly vulnerable especially during the holiday season and in the midst of the worst public health crisis in a century,” they wrote.


Rising American food insecurity

06:48

Durbin and other lawmakers said it “remains unclear why the USDA decided to remove 8,000 individuals from SNAP, as they are clearly eligible to take part in SNAP,” referring to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, more commonly known as food stamps.

The Trump administration has been involved in efforts for years to cut SNAP. When those efforts began, the US enjoyed a history of low unemployment and a strong economy. But coronavirus pandemic has increased food insecurity and poverty among US households, raising concerns among lawmakers and anti-hunger supporters about the Trump administration’s ongoing plans to cut nutritional aid.

A cut of Trump’s food stamp

In October, the judge blocked The Trump administration’s efforts to make it harder for some adults to accept food stamps, condemns the plan for failing to consider how the rules will impact hundreds of thousands of Americans during the pandemic.

The effort would cut benefits for some 700,000 adults aged 18 to 49 who do not have a disability or dependents, such as children or adult family members with disabilities.

The USDA’s latest efforts will impact poor individuals entering elderly facilities with the understanding that they will receive food assistance through the program, a Durbin aide told CBS MoneyWatch. Removing that support “could be very problematic,” said the aide. Durbin’s office has not received a response from the USDA regarding her request to continue with the program.

Financial hardship and food insecurity have continued to increase since corona virus the pandemic hit the economy in March. More than half of US families with children remain concerned about the ability to afford food over the next few weeks, according to recent analysis Census data from the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities that tend to be liberal.

Food stamp registrations have ballooned as millions of households have lost their jobs. Food stamp registrations jumped 17%, or nearly 6 million additional recipients, through May, according to an October decision that scrapped Trump’s attempts to cut food stamps for some adults.

.



image source

The Trump administration wants to cut food stamps for thousands of seniors, lawmakers say | Instant News


More than 8,000 poor elderly citizens in Illinois and other states are facing “catastrophic” results under the Trump administration’s plan to cut food stamps allowances by January 1, according to lawmakers.

Senator Dick Durbin and other Illinois lawmakers have urged the US Department of Agriculture to extend benefits, which are for poor elderly living in one of 154 supportive living facilities across the state, according to a November 18th letter to USDA secretary Sonny Perdue.

The agency did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

The 20-year-old program helps low-income seniors by allowing their facilities to collect food stamp allowances and buy food on their behalf, with lawmakers noting that this helps disabled and elderly people who cannot go to the grocery store. Facilities in states from Alabama to Tennessee will also be affected, although most living supporting facilities are located in Illinois.

The decision to limit the program to the end of the year will prove problematic on a number of levels, Illinois lawmakers said in their letter to the USDA. “It is unacceptable to leave 8,000 elderly vulnerable especially during the holiday season and in the midst of the worst public health crisis in a century,” they wrote.


Rising American food insecurity

06:48

Durbin and other lawmakers said it “remains unclear why the USDA decided to remove 8,000 individuals from SNAP, as they are clearly eligible to take part in SNAP,” referring to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, more commonly known as food stamps.

The Trump administration has been involved in efforts for years to cut SNAP. When those efforts began, the US enjoyed a history of low unemployment and a strong economy. But coronavirus pandemic has increased food insecurity and poverty among US households, raising concerns among lawmakers and anti-hunger supporters about the Trump administration’s ongoing plans to cut nutritional aid.

A cut of Trump’s food stamp

In October, the judge blocked The Trump administration’s efforts to make it harder for some adults to accept food stamps, condemns the plan for failing to consider how the rules will impact hundreds of thousands of Americans during the pandemic.

The effort would cut benefits for some 700,000 adults aged 18 to 49 who do not have a disability or dependents, such as children or adult family members with disabilities.

The USDA’s latest efforts will impact poor individuals entering elderly facilities with the understanding that they will receive food assistance through the program, a Durbin aide told CBS MoneyWatch. Removing that support “could be very problematic,” said the aide. Durbin’s office has not received a response from the USDA regarding her request to continue with the program.

Financial hardship and food insecurity have continued to increase since corona virus the pandemic hit the economy in March. More than half of US families with children remain concerned about the ability to afford food over the next few weeks, according to recent analysis Census data from the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities that tend to be liberal.

Food stamp registrations have ballooned as millions of households have lost their jobs. Food stamp registrations jumped 17%, or nearly 6 million additional recipients, through May, according to an October decision that scrapped Trump’s attempts to cut food stamps for some adults.

.



image source

The Trump administration wants to cut food stamps for thousands of seniors, lawmakers say | Instant News


More than 8,000 poor elderly citizens in Illinois and other states are facing “catastrophic” results under the Trump administration’s plan to cut food stamps allowances by January 1, according to lawmakers.

Senator Dick Durbin and other Illinois lawmakers have urged the US Department of Agriculture to extend benefits, which are for poor elderly living in one of 154 supportive living facilities across the state, according to a November 18th letter to USDA secretary Sonny Perdue.

The agency did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

The 20-year-old program helps low-income seniors by allowing their facilities to collect food stamp allowances and buy food on their behalf, with lawmakers noting that this helps disabled and elderly people who cannot go to the grocery store. Facilities in states from Alabama to Tennessee will also be affected, although most living supporting facilities are located in Illinois.

The decision to limit the program to the end of the year will prove problematic on a number of levels, Illinois lawmakers said in their letter to the USDA. “It is unacceptable to leave 8,000 elderly vulnerable especially during the holiday season and in the midst of the worst public health crisis in a century,” they wrote.


Rising American food insecurity

06:48

Durbin and other lawmakers said it “remains unclear why the USDA decided to remove 8,000 individuals from SNAP, as they are clearly eligible to take part in SNAP,” referring to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, more commonly known as food stamps.

The Trump administration has been involved in efforts for years to cut SNAP. When those efforts began, the US enjoyed a history of low unemployment and a strong economy. But coronavirus pandemic has increased food insecurity and poverty among US households, raising concerns among lawmakers and anti-hunger supporters about the Trump administration’s ongoing plans to cut nutritional aid.

A cut of Trump’s food stamp

In October, the judge blocked The Trump administration’s efforts to make it harder for some adults to accept food stamps, condemns the plan for failing to consider how the rules will impact hundreds of thousands of Americans during the pandemic.

The effort would cut benefits for some 700,000 adults aged 18 to 49 who do not have a disability or dependents, such as children or adult family members with disabilities.

The USDA’s latest efforts will impact poor individuals entering elderly facilities with the understanding that they will receive food assistance through the program, a Durbin aide told CBS MoneyWatch. Removing that support “could be very problematic,” said the aide. Durbin’s office has not received a response from the USDA regarding her request to continue with the program.

Financial hardship and food insecurity have continued to increase since corona virus the pandemic hit the economy in March. More than half of US families with children remain concerned about the ability to afford food over the next few weeks, according to recent analysis Census data from the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities that tend to be liberal.

Food stamp registrations have ballooned as millions of households have lost their jobs. Food stamp registrations jumped 17%, or nearly 6 million additional recipients, through May, according to an October decision that scrapped Trump’s attempts to cut food stamps for some adults.

.



image source

Buying guide: Amazon shoppers love this simple phone, suitable for seniors and kids | Home & Garden | Instant News






(Amazon)

We hope you like the products we recommend. If you purchase the products mentioned in this article, we may charge a commission.


Cassie sheets

Keeping in touch is more important than ever, but when it comes to navigating smartphones for children or adults with vision or hearing impairments in adulthood, making calls is not always easy. Fortunately, this 4G Big screen phone Products from Jethro are streamlined and simple, so you can always get in touch with the people you care about.

Compatible with large screens and hearing aids

The phone It is perfect for the elderly or anyone who has difficulty listening to or watching a standard smartphone. The vivid 2.8-inch screen makes it easy to read, and the large keyboard buttons can be easily seen and felt in the dark. The sound quality is also compatible with hearing aids, without any signal interference.

Emergency and more

The phone The SOS button is a perfect choice for children to call parents or the elderly to call contacts in an emergency. Thanks to the SOS button, it can call and send text messages to up to 5 contacts ( Including 911). Urgent messages will also automatically send a Google Map link location with GPS. However, the phone also has some other functions, including camera, flashlight, FM radio, calendar and alarm clock. It’s smart enough to be easy to use, but it’s not too much for users who don’t like technology or young children.

Why customers like it

.



image source