BRISBANE – No.1 ranked Ash Barty withdrew from the US Open because she doesn’t want to risk travel during the coronavirus pandemic. The 24-year-old Australian is the most prominent player at this time day to retire from Aug 31-Sep. 13 Grand Slam tournament in New York due to the global health crisis. “My team and I have decided that we will not be going to the … Western & Southern Open and the US Open this year,” Barty said in a statement. emailed to The Associated Press Thursday. “I love both events so it was a tough decision, but there are still significant risks involved due to COVID-19 and I don’t feel comfortable putting my team and I in that position. “I wish USTA all the best for the tournament and look forward to being back in the United States next year. Barty has yet to decide whether she will defend the Roland Garros title she won last year for her major singles breakthrough. The Grand Slam event on clay was postponed earlier in the year and postponed to September 27, after the US Open. Australia’s international borders closed would make it difficult for Barty to travel during the pandemic. Technically, Barty would have to receive government clearance to travel overseas, and flight options are On their return to Australia, travelers are required to spend two weeks in quarantine. Other players have expressed concern about traveling to the United States, where more than 150,000 people have died as a result of COVID-19. Barty had to make his decision as entries w Serena Williams, Coco Gauff, Novak are open for the Western and Southern Open, which is scheduled for August 20-28 and has moved to the same hard courts from Billie Jean King National Tennis Center which should host the US Open. Djokovic and Rafael Nadal were on Wednesday’s initial rosters – but Barty, two-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka and 2019 US Open champion Bianca Andreescu were not – as the tournament was moved from Cincinnati to Flushing Meadows. means a player will take part in the tournament. No professional sanctioned tennis events have been played since March due to the coronavirus. Both women’s and men’s tours plan to return in August. The women’s tour still aims to return next week to Palermo, Italy. ___More AP Tennis: https://apnews.com/apf-Tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_SportsCopyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission. .
Watch out tennis world, the daughter of Serena Williams goes over the crown of her mother.
In a series of images uploaded to her personal Instagram account, Williams and her daughter Alexis Ohanian Olympia, Junior shows combined to play doubles.
Cayo is your ticket to the best sport live and on demand. New to knockout? Get a 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >
The Duo kitted out in matching outfits from head to toe with purple tights, Nike, Wilson rackets and Nike shoes.
Williams uploaded the picture along with a video of the pair joking, asking her followers in the caption of the picture.
But all the comments quickly turned into fans and followers to lose it as adorable images of the two.
“I just love it and you too much! If it’s all the sweeter, I will not live!” says sister Venus.
“Is everything!!! Current #goat with the future #goat”, photographer John Russo wrote.
Comments flooded in From users simply not able to keep his emotions in check at the photos the mother-daughter Duo.
Set for three a few months, Alexis Olympia the greatest teacher in the corner with her mother having won 23 Grand Slam singles titles is Margaret Court for the all-time list.
Currently, she holds the record for the biggest Grand Slam titles among active players in total 39 different singles, doubles and mixed doubles.
First win Grand Slam singles titles Serena came in a few weeks before she turned 18 years old when she defeated number one seed Martina Hingis in two sets 6-3, 7-6.
With 15 left under whom many considered the most dominant tennis player of all times of the year, Alexis could emulate her mother in this world no feats and take the tennis world by storm.
Maria Sharapova out of retirement to play. Serena Williams is starting another search for Grand Slams. Kevin Anderson, a 2018 Wimbledon finalist, will discover what it’s like to play doubles with an NFL quarterback.
The athletes and others will take part in “Stay at Home Slam” on Sunday. This event will feature top tennis players paired with celebrities playing Mario Tennis Aces for the Nintendo Switch. Virtual shows will be streamed to the viewers directly.
This is another attempt to keep tennis in the public eye at a time when the coronavirus pandemic has closed the professional game until at least July 13th.
Williams played with supermodel Gigi Hadid while, among other things, Naomi Osaka partnered with TV model and personality Hailey Bieber, Sharapova’s team with model Karlie Kloss, Nishikori Kei joined DJ and producer Steve Aoki, and Anderson partnered with Tennessee Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Competitors will play the game in their homes, all with the same amount of $ 25,000 which they will then contribute to the charity of their choice. The winning team will receive an additional $ 1 million to donate.
Viewers will be able to watch avatars playing, along with live feeds from athletes in their homes. ESPN analyst John McEnroe and YouTube personality Justine Ezarik will provide comments. The program will be broadcast on Facebook Gaming and IMG Tennis Facebook pages.
This will be the second video game tournament to feature professional ATP and WTA players in a week and is part of the game’s growing response to locking. The Madrid Open, the staple of the European spring clay circuit, will begin Monday. When canceled because of a pandemic, the promoter created video game version of the event. When this is ongoing, it ends Thursday.
The virtual Madrid show soon features an art-imitating-life component, as Gael Monfils withdrew on the grounds of injury and Belinda Bencic into his living room – racket bags and all – to Joan Jett’s classic “I Love Rock ‘N’ Roll.”
Since the lock on the coronavirus began, tennis players have explored social media, posting many challenges and athletic skills achievements with the hashtag #tennisathome. Interest in games also seems to gain traction as a way for players to stay connected with their fans while raising money for charity purposes. The Madrid Open offers around $ 325,000 in prize money, with players finally deciding how many pots to share with lower-ranking colleagues who struggle financially.
Low-ranked tennis players, who are independent contractors who largely depend on tournament prize money for their income, have been devastated by all canceled events. The social distance and mandated closure of non-essential businesses have prohibited them from giving lessons.
At the same time, traditional tennis is slowly returning to the state of Rhineland-Palatinate in Germany. The Tennis Academy Base in Hohr-Grenzhausen is held an eight-player exhibition starting friday.
The match in the Tennis Point Exhibition Series will be played indoors, with only three people on the field: the chair referee and two players. It will be broadcast live on Tennis Channel. When not on the field, players must wear masks.
Ongoing travel restrictions dictate that the players at the exhibition are lower-class local players. But the field of ATP travel workers is led by Dustin Brown. Brown, who is a crowd favorite because of his electric slash game, fell to No. 239, but he has an unforgettable Wimbledon resentment. Rafael Nadal on the resume. The eight players will play 32 matches with an abbreviated score system.
Patrick Mouratoglou, Williams coach and an ESPN analyst, planned a similar event at his eponymous tennis academy in the south of France. The tournament, which has been projected as a five-week event, is more evidence that while home fitness routines and video game tournaments are valuable diversions, there is real hunger – and no adequate substitute – to return to court and compete.
The ATP and WTA tours are currently suspended because of this coronavirus global pandemicbut that doesn’t mean you can’t see your favorite tennis players working on their skills. Thanks to the wonders of the internet, the stars like it Roger Federer and Andy Murray have started their own virus challenges, and others like them Serena Williams and Sloane Stephens have done their best to try them, all from the comfort of their home.
The last few weeks have witnessed a surge in creativity from players ranging from some of the biggest sports names to some that you may not have heard of before – all of which make or put their own rounds of challenges. Here are some of our favorites.
Leave it to Federer, one of the biggest who has ever played tennis, to have one of the first viral challenges in the quarantine era. The top champion 20 times posted a video (which is somewhat hypnotizing) of solo practice where he hit the ball on the wall more than 200 times while wearing his best white Wimbledon and a panama hat. He then marked a number of fellow athletes and celebrities, and several – including Lindsey Vonn, Hugh Jackman and the ruling Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin – Respond with their own efforts in the #tennisathome drill.
When Federer asks, people listen – even the 23-time Grand Slam champion. It took several days, but Williams not only did the challenge, he made a funny comment, and came up with the ultimate flexibility: the racket he received from Federer himself.
Given the highest rank of 760 in his career in single numbers, you may have never heard of Van Der Hoek, who is 25 years old from the Netherlands. But during the tennis suspension, Van Der Hoek has made himself one of the games that must be followed on social media with his fun and creative challenges around his home. Take the example below where he hit the ball from one side of his house, on the roof and ran past the house to catch him on the other hand. Maybe there aren’t many times you can accurately say, “Get out of my way, Roger Federer,” especially about a player who hasn’t played in the main draw in the major, but we think it’s very appropriate here.
Murray saw Federer’s challenge, and he raised the bet. Joining his wife, Kim (playing with a children’s racket, when he cheerfully told us), the couple tried the “100 volley challenge” from their own backyard. It takes several days to gain momentum, but countless others, in and out of tennis, then try to recreate it for mixed results, and often comedy.
What makes Stephens’s 100 volleyball effort better than others? The 2017 US Open champion brought fiance Jozy Altidore, from Toronto FC and the United States men’s national team, to join him. You know what they say: Couples who do a lot of sports together, stay together.
In theory, nothing is better suited for the “100 volleyball challenge” than the Bryan brothers. With 16 double Grand Slam titles together, 438 weeks ranked number one together at number 1, Olympic medals and almost every other award imaginable, both must be able to reach 5,000 or more without breaking a sweat. It seems they also knew that, so they started their own “Level 2” idea, which involved old cellphones and ping pong balls.
(Note: Is anyone surprised that the two of them took refuge together, together with their families? That is why they are the best in what they do, brothers.)
Kasatkina is one of the most creative players on the WTA Tour, and is known for his play style which is a little unusual, but very interesting. Apparently, the 22-year-old player also has a lot of sense at home. Swinging the FC Barcelona jersey, he filmed himself hitting the ball with a frying pan and hitting it directly into the blender. He said it was “the only way I’m good in the kitchen,” and we just hope it doesn’t mean he will try to combine this. Regardless, come for dynamic shots, stay for the perfect celebration.
After his third round appearance at Wimbledon last year and his first career title at Winston-Salem shortly afterwards, some tennis fans were already familiar with 23-year-old Hurkacz. While his achievements on the field are impressive, perhaps nothing surpasses his efforts in combining the challenges of tennis with the challenge of “The floor is lava”. Watch as he walks through what appears to be his hotel suite, maneuvering on a variety of furniture and hitting tennis balls against the wall and at the target of stacked water bottles. While we feel rather bad for those who live in adjacent rooms and hotel staff, this is truly a masterpiece for the age of staying at home.
Having experienced a breakthrough season in 2019, and won his first WTA title in San Jose, it is not surprising that the 26-year-old wants to use his time wisely. Even so, maybe no one destroyed their practice like Zheng. He even started 100 double jump challenges himself using a jump rope, and that was somehow one of the least intense things he posted. It still does not produce too much interest despite trying hard. When you see it, you will understand why.
One of the smartest young stars on the ATP Tour, De Minaur actually prefers the challenges of golf at home to tennis, but they are all quite impressive. Puritans will say, “What does this have to do with tennis?” And for that, we say, “Who really cares now?” He’s a tennis player, so this is very important.