Tag Archives: ship

Turkey summons EU envoys, Germany, Italy after the interception of commercial vessels bound for Libya | Instant News


The Turkish Foreign Ministry late Monday summoned the ambassadors of Germany, Italy and the European Union to protest against the illegal interception of Turkish vessels bound for Libya during the EU-led Operation Irini in the Eastern Mediterranean.

“These countries have sent diplomatic notes. In that note, it is affirmed that the incident violates international law and that our right to compensation is protected,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Hami Aksoy said in a statement.

“Operation Irini is a side operation. It is an operation that aims to punish the legitimate Libyan government and does not inspect weapons supplies to rebel General Khalifa Haftar, and is engaging in arbitrary practices,” Aksoy previously emphasized.

A German frigate participating in the EU-led Operation Irini unlawfully stopped and searched a Turkish commercial cargo ship carrying food and paint supplies to Libya in the Eastern Mediterranean, security sources said.

Footage obtained from the interception shows armed soldiers boarding the ship in a manner that resembles a counterterrorism operation.

Confirming a report in Der Spiegel news magazine, a German spokesman said the Hamburg frigate had intercepted ROSELINE A about 200 kilometers (125 miles) north of the Libyan city of Benghazi on Sunday evening.

Aksoy noted that the Turkish ship’s captain cooperated with Operation Irini’s forces and shared extensive information about the ship’s cargo and navigation but faced hours of inspection despite their cooperation.

“All staff were detained and the captain was held at gunpoint by soldiers during the questioning,” said Aksoy. He added that the search was carried out without the approval of the ship’s country of origin.

He went on to note that the intervention only ended after Turkey balked at the unlawful search.

Aksoy strongly condemns the search of the Turkish commercial vessel and the treatment of its staff as criminals.

He underlined that interception in international waters requires flag state approval and that UN Security Council (UNSC) resolutions do not abolish this obligation.

Aksoy also said the European mission had adopted a double standard against the legitimate government in Libya and was specifically targeting commercial ships bound for Libya from Turkey.

.



image source

Global Ship Lease Releases Latest Investor Presentation | Instant News


/ONE news/ – LONDON, 17 November 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – Global Ship Lease, Inc. (NYSE: GSL) (“The Company”), the leading independent owner of container ships, today announced that it has posted an updated investor presentation in the Investor Relations section of its website, www.globalshiplease.com. Among other things, the new investor presentation provided up-to-date market data showing continued positive momentum from the container trade and container charter market, particularly for the medium and smaller container segment where the Global Ship Charter fleet is in focus.

About Global Boat Charter

Global Ship Lease is a leading independent owner of container ships with a diversified fleet of medium and small container vessels. Founded in the Marshall Islands, Global Ship Lease began operations in December 2007 with the business of owning and chartering container vessels under a flat-rate charter for top container ship companies. On 15 November 2018, it completed a strategic combination with the Poseidon Containers.

Global Ship Lease has 43 container vessels, ranging from 2,207 to 11,040 TEU, with a total capacity of 245,280 TEU and an average age, weighed by TEU capacity, 13.4 years as of September 30 2020.25 vessels are Post-Panamax, of which nine is a new, fuel-efficient design wide beam.

Adjusted to include all approved charters, and ships acquired or divested, up to 12 November 2020, the average remaining charter term of the Company as of 30 September 2020, to mid-delivery, including options under the control of the Company, are 2,3 years on a TEU weighted basis. The revenue contracted on the same basis was $ 688.9 million. Contracted revenue was $ 764.9 million, including options under the control of the lessee and with the most recent resubmission date, representing the weighted average remaining term of 2.6 years.

SAfe Port Statement

This press release contains forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements provide the company’s current expectations or forecasts about future events. Forward-looking statements include statements about the Company’s expectations, beliefs, plans, objectives, intentions, assumptions and other statements that are not historical facts. Words or phrases such as “anticipates”, “believes”, “continues”, “estimates”, “expects”, “intends”, “may”, “is sustainable”, “plans”, “potential”, “predicts”, “projects , “” will “or similar words or phrases, or negatives of such words or phrases, can identify forward-looking statements, but the absence of these words does not necessarily imply that the statements are not forward looking. These forward-looking statements are based on assumptions that could be wrong, and the Company cannot assure you that the events or expectations included in these forward-looking statements will occur. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied by forward-looking statements as a result of a variety of factors, including the factors described in “Risk Factors” in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 20-F and the factors and risks described by the Company. in subsequent reports submitted from time to time to the US Securities and Exchange Commission. Therefore, you should not rely too heavily on these forward-looking statements, which only apply as of the date of this press release. The Company has no obligation to publicly revise forward-looking statements to reflect circumstances or events after the date of this press release or to reflect events that were unexpected.

Investor and Media Contact:
IGB Group
Bryan Degnan
646-673-9701
or
Leon Berman
212-477-8438



.



image source

Rescue ship Open Arms carrying 255 migrants to Italy | News | DW | Instant News


Migrant rescue boat Open arms on Saturday transferred 255 migrants to Italian authorities in Sicily after a Spanish NGO saw their ship in trouble in the Mediterranean Sea earlier this week.

Open Arms said a total of 184 unaccompanied adults and 71 minors from 20 African countries were on board two Italian ships where they had to first undergo quarantine and ensure they did not carry the coronavirus.

“We hope the EU treats them better,” the group tweeted.

Read more: Lesbos: Is another Moria being created?

Dozens of people died

At least five other migrants have died while making a similar trip on Thursday after a packed rubber boat with more than 120 people capsized off the Libyan coast, the NGO reported. The canoe has left the town of Khums in Libya.

“Staff in the region reported that more bodies were washed ashore overnight,” said International Organization for Migration (IOM) spokesman Safa Msehli in an explanation in Geneva, Switzerland.

Fishermen and coast guards recovered 31 bodies earlier this week, including a toddler.

A video by Open Arms shows a Guinean mother crying for her 6-month-old baby who died in one of the shipwrecks, despite efforts by a medical team aboard a humanitarian ship.

The woman in the video is heard screaming, “Where’s my baby!”

About 100 people drowned on Thursday alone.

Appeal to the EU for action

Since the start of 2020, some 30,000 refugees arrived in Italy by boat, according to the Italian Interior Ministry, three times as many in the 2019 comparison period.

People often fleeing from war or poverty, try to reach Europe by boat. Many started from Libya or Tunisia.

“We repeat our call to the international community and The European Union to take immediate and concrete action to end the cycle of returns and exploits, “Msehli tweeted.

Open Arms is the only aid organization currently operating in international waters off Libya’s coast to rescue migrants distressed at sea.

mvb / sms (AFP, dpa, Reuters, EPD)

.



image source

The rescue ship Open Arms reached the coast of Italy carrying 250 migrants | Instant News


Spanish migrant rescue charity Open Arms has reached the Italian coast carrying about 250 migrants rescued from the sea, the organization said on Saturday.

The migrants have been transferred to a ship off Sicily’s west coast where they will initially live in quarantine due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The men were picked up in three rescues carried out on Tuesday and Wednesday, the charity said.

In one of the rescues, Open Arms arrested 111 people after the hull of their inflatable boat exploded off the coast of Libya.

During the operation, five bodies were also found. The death of a 6-month-old boy, said to be named Joseph and originally from Guinea, brought the death toll to six, the charity said on Thursday.

The baby who died, his mother and a pregnant woman were transferred to Lampedusa, Open Arms said.

Three migrants, including another baby, were flown to Malta for medical treatment.

For months, small boats carrying migrants depart from Libya and Tunisia, usually trying to reach Italy.

According to Italian Interior Ministry data, so far the country has registered nearly 31,000 migrant arrivals in 2020, compared with nearly 10,000 in the same period last year.

.



image source

Subic serves 37 ships under the crew replacement program | Instant News


TWO months after joining the government’s crew replacement program, the Port of Subic has served a total of 37 ships and is allowing more than 500 Filipino seafarers to take much-needed breaks or renew jobs aboard commercial ships.

Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) Chair and Administrator Wilma T. Eisma said the crew replacement program was a direct response to President Rodrigo Duterte’s call that nothing should be left behind in the government’s efforts to ensure the safety of all Filipinos and provide assistance to vulnerable groups in the face of the pandemic. Covid-19.

“We understand that crew change is necessary for the health and safety of seafarers,” said Eisma. “And considering that some 80,000 Filipino seafarers with expired contracts are stranded on their ships, much needs to be done to ensure movement among seafarers, especially Filipinos, during this humanitarian and economic crisis. “

Subic began operations as a crew replacement center on September 10, with the arrival of five Filipino sailors who were stranded for about three months aboard the M / V Dapeng Star, a liquefied natural gas (LNG) tanker based in Hong Kong.

Since then, Subic’s One Stop Shop (OSS), the interagency task force managing Subic’s crew replacement operations, has recorded a total of 260 “signings” or crew entering and 255 “signing” or exiting seamen, starting Monday, November 9.

Of the total 515 seafarers who arrived or departed in Subic under the program, only 24 – or 12 signatories and 12 signatories – were foreigners.

Ships of all shapes and sizes have arrived at Subic Freeport for crew changes. These include the M / V RTM Cook, a bulk carrier based in Singapore, with seven Philippine signatories and 11 off signers; LNG Dapeng Moon, a tanker based in Hong Kong, with five Philippine signatories; M / V Mindoro, a Panamanian-flagged vehicle carrier with three signatories and two signatories, all Filipinos; MT Jason, a chemical tanker from the Marshall Islands with 12 Philippine signatories, and one Croatian and 13 Philippine signatories; MT Euro Integrity, a Liberian flagged crude oil tanker with 15 signatories and 16 signatories, all Filipinos; and M / V Nine Eagle, a Panamanian-flagged livestock carrier with five signatories and five signatories, all Filipinos.

SBMA Port Department Manager Jerome Martinez said OSS Subic had established strict health and safety protocols for the program, with all incoming and outgoing seafarers undergoing reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) testing prior to departure from Subic or upon arrival at Subic International Airport. Bay.

“If a signer tests positive, he or she is brought back point-to-point to Manila where he has a swab. Meanwhile, after disembarking, passengers who did not sign were taken directly to Subic-OSS for a swab test, after which they were transported to an isolation facility in Manila, ”said Martinez.

He added that in a period of two months crew changes had been made in Subic, only one positive case among seafarers was recorded.

Seafarers have been designated “key workers” by many countries, including the Philippines, which are members of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) to enable them to travel to and from ships and ensure the operation of commercial vessels.

The IMO says commercial vessels now carry more than 80 percent of global trade by volume, including essential food and medicine, energy and raw materials, and manufactured goods. (Ric Sapnu)

.



image source