Tag Archives: state news

Mumbai’s iconic Karachi Bakery is closed, MNS claims credit but store managers cite business losses | Instant News


Mumbai is famous Karachi Bakery closed recently due to loss of business, The Times of India reported on Thursday. Last year, the iconic bakery was caught in controversy as workers from Maharashtra Navnirman Sena and Shiv Sena criticized it for what they claimed was the “name of Pakistan”.

“We closed the shop after the old lease agreement ended,” Rameshwar Waghmare, manager of the bakery, told The Times of India. “Our landlords are demanding a higher amount as rent, which we can’t do. The lockdown has caused business volumes to fall. “

However, MNS claimed credit for the closure of the bakery. On Wednesday, the Vice President of MNS Haji Saif Shaikh | tweeted saying, “After massive protests on his behalf, Karachi Bakery has finally closed its only shop in Mumbai.”

However, Waghmare clarified that the decision was based on business factors. “There is no reason to give up by changing our name,” he said. “A bakery is a legitimate business with all valid licenses and approvals. Our decisions are based on business factors. Let others take credit for it if they want. “

Waghmare said the owners will decide whether to lease the new space or leave the brand out of date in Mumbai. The ice cream shop is now here to replace it.

The Karachi bakery is part of a Hyderabad-based chain run by the Hindu Sindhi migrant family, Ramnanis, from Pakistan. That confectionery has branches across India.

The sheikh and his supporters caused a scene outside the Karachi Bakery in Bandra in November. They have asked the owner to change his name, which they suspect is “anti-national” and “unpatriotic”. Shaikh has even sent an official notification to Karachi Bakery. “It is a matter of public record that there is tension between India and Pakistan due to Pakistan’s illegal occupation of land in Kashmir known as Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (POK),” read legal notices, based on Quint.

In the same month, a Shiv Sena The shop leader was seen threatening the Mumbai shop owner to change the shop name. In a video posted on politician Nitin Nandgaonkar’s Facebook page, he is seen talking to a shop owner in Bandra West. The leader of Sena asked the owner of the candy shop to change the shop name to “something in Marathi”. However, party chairman Sanjay Raut said that was not an official request from his organization. The shop reportedly covered its name with a newspaper after Nandgaonkar’s visit.

.



image source

Nearly 2,000 new cases were reported on Saturday as a variant of COVID-19 discovered in Michigan | Corona virus | Instant News


Nearly 2,000 new cases of the coronavirus were reported in Michigan as of Saturday, as the first case of the UK variant of COVID-19, B.1.1.7, was found in a woman in the Washtenaw area. according to the state website and a press release issued by the Michigan State Police (MSP).

There were 1,932 new cases of the virus and 103 new deaths from the virus, making a total of 535,534 cases and a total of 13,804 deaths from the disease in Michigan.

At least 90 of the 103 new deaths confirmed on Tuesday were identified during the landmark note review, which the state conducts regularly.

This number excludes possible cases and deaths related to COVID-19 and includes only confirmed cases and deaths.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Bureau of Laboratories identified a variant in Michigan on Saturday, which is believed to be more contagious.

The woman, who has a case of the new variant of COVID-19, is believed to have recently traveled to England, where the variant originated.

Two new cases have also been found in close contact with the individual, who has been notified of the discovery and is currently in quarantine.

There is no indication that it affects the clinical outcome or disease severity compared with normal coronavirus strains; However, higher transmission rates could see more people hospitalized or increase the number of those who die from the virus if a new variant becomes widespread.

Based on available evidence, current tests and vaccines for normal strains will also work against new variants, as well as current protective measures.

Health officials have also been tracking test results across the state. So far, 8,902,388 diagnostic tests have been carried out.

As of Friday, a total of 442,408 Michigander had recovered from COVID-19 (30 days after the onset of the disease), a total that the state updates every Saturday.

According to Johns Hopkins University, worldwide on Saturday, the number of cases reached more than 94.2 million with deaths over 2.01 million.

In the United States, more than 23 million cases have been reported with more than 393,000 deaths related to the disease.

Michigan is ranked the eighth state in the US with the highest number of deaths, with New York being the first.

The state is also the fourteenth in the country in cases, said Johns Hopkins, with California first.

Oakland County went first in the Detroit area on Saturday with the most recent cases, 249, and 13 new deaths, making a total of 59,156 cases and 1,712 deaths in the area.

Wayne County is next with 235 new cases and 10 new deaths, for a total of 59,227 cases and 1,895 deaths.

Macomb County was followed by 123 new cases and 16 deaths, for a total of 50,932 cases and 1,678 deaths.

And, in the city of Detroit, 122 new cases were reported, as well as 6 new deaths, making up 27,548 cases and 1,755 deaths.

In mid-Michigan, Isabella County had no new cases and 1 new death, keeping the total cases at 3,345 and raising the total deaths to 60.

Gratiot Regency has 3 new cases and 2 new deaths, with a total of 2,334 cases and 87 cases in the district.

Clare County also cited 1,217 total cases and 57 total deaths, which is the same number as the previous day, meaning no new cases or deaths.

The Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC) cited 85 new cases and 1 new death, making it 22,295 total cases and 133 total deaths.

Kent County also had, cumulatively, 44,611 cases and 563 deaths, having reported 124 new cases and 4 new deaths.

It is not easy for some of the most vulnerable members of the population to go online to register for the COVID-19 vaccine.

Uncertainty over the speed at which federal COVID-19 vaccine rations sparked anger and confusion on Friday in several states, with officials worried …

BALTIMORE >> The $ 1.9 trillion rescue plan unveiled by President-elect Joe Biden offers an opportunity to shape the US economy towards …

.



image source

Cuomo urges the federal government to lock down travel from the UK once a new strain of COVID is detected | Public Service News | Instant News


Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on Sunday called on the federal government to ban travel from the UK, or require travelers from the country who tested negative for COVID-19 before entering the United States, after British Prime Minister Boris Johnson revealed the country had found it. signs of a new type of virus.

The prime minister announced on Saturday that British health authorities found a strain of the coronavirus that can be transmitted up to 70% of the original. The discovery saw him reimpose high-level lockdowns in most countries and cancel the Christmas holidays planned within the country’s long-term restrictions.

Governor Cuomo said while other countries, including the Netherlands, Belgium and Italy have banned travelers from the UK, and 120 have mandated a negative COVID test before travelers from the UK can board a plane to their country, the US continues to accept travelers with no restrictions.

“For me, this is despicable, because this is what happened in the spring,” said the governor.

The governor said in the spring, while the federal government pushed the message that China was the top concern when it came to the virus, travelers from Europe took it unchecked.

Governor Cuomo said there were currently six flights per day arriving in New York from the UK

“Currently, the variant (strain) in the UK is on a plane and flying to JFK,” said Governor Cuomo.

The governor said there was no way the state could impose its own prohibition or restriction, apart from what it had done. He said the federal government had to step in to enforce some of the bans or restrictions.

The governor also updated New Yorkers with the state’s coronavirus number on Sunday.

There were 197,000 tests reported, which is higher than average, likely because more people sought tests during the holidays, according to the governor.

The statewide positivity rate, including microclusters, is 5.05%. The region with the highest positive number was the Finger Lake area with 8.34%, followed by Mohawk Valley with 8.18%. The northern country has a positivity rate of 4.9%, which is higher than just the other two regions – New York City at 4.2% and the Southern Rate at 2.4%.

There were 6,185 people hospitalized for COVID-19 as of Saturday, and 123 New Yorkers died.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.

.



image source

Cornell collaborates with food processors to minimize the effects of COVID | Health problems | Instant News


ITHACA – The Cornell University-led project will use computer modeling and outreach to find optimal strategies to minimize COVID-19 cases and transmission among workers in food processing facilities, while maintaining the best possible production.

The project comes at a time when the COVID-19 pandemic threatens the country’s food supply, in part because food industry workers fall ill, which reduces the workforce and could lead to temporary closure of facilities.

Cornell researchers plan to collaborate with a dozen meat, dairy and production industry partners to explore potential solutions in real-world settings.

“This is a problem that requires a quick solution, we need to solve it now,” said project principal investigator Renata Ivanek, professor in the Department of Population and Diagnostic Medicine at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, said in a news release.

According to Cornell, industry partners include Ohio-based Great Lakes Cheese, which has a factory in Adams; the Misionero Vegetables processor, Del Monte Foods, Seneca Foods Corporation and Taylor Farms and the Tyson Foods poultry, beef and pork processor.

“Part of this project is investigating how segments of the food production industry differ and how to develop control strategies that suit specific industry segments,” Ivanek said.

After the model is developed and validated, it will be scaled up and applied in several specialized facilities to further validate it in real-world settings.

Despite hopes that the pandemic will be overcome in the next year, Ivanek said the project will address current issues while also providing insights for future disease outbreaks.

Cornell noted that food production is an important industry. Keeping workers safe is a priority and a challenge as they often need to work in close proximity to one another, increasing the risk of contracting COVID-19.

Many companies have tried to overcome the risk by closing part of their production lines and adding Plexiglass splitters but this reduces production capacity. Adding to the complexity, Cornell says, is that all of the perks are unique.

The outreach will include courses on COVID-19, its biology and how to control it. The Institute for Food Safety at Cornell University has initiated some of this work, including information-sharing work hours that food processing facility managers can participate in to engage with COVID-19 experts on topics such as safety training for employees and use checklists to assess facility safety plans.

The project was made possible with a two-year, $ 1 million rapid response grant from the United States Department of Agriculture’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture.

“Part of this project is investigating how segments of the food production industry differ and how to develop control strategies that suit specific industry segments,” Ivanek said.

In March, the Cornell Institute for Food Safety has created a comprehensive website for commercial processors: “Food Industry Resources for Coronavirus”. Information on the site ranges from general industry guides to training videos for food processing employees.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.

.



image source

A landmark decision in Syracuse: the removal of the statue of Columbus was greeted with joy, anger, relief. | State Gazette | Instant News


SYRACUSE – Lisa Sacco doesn’t expect much to change after the mayor appointed her to the Columbus statue committee this summer.

What do you think about Columbus Day?

However, the debate over the removal of the statue has heated up and faded over the decades. Despite protests and vandalism as well as petitions and committees, the statue remains, towering over the square separating the district courthouse from the Catholic cathedral.

But after eight weeks of meetings, some of which made him cry, Sacco felt hopeful. Mayor Ben Walsh sat with the group at his last meeting, he said, and there was no way he could leave thinking the statue could stay.

Early Friday, Walsh announced the statue would be removed and moved to a private site. This is arguably the biggest – and certainly the most controversial – decision in his three years as mayor.

The decision drew direct criticism from a group of Italian-Americans, who are considering legal action to save the statue. The statue was assembled and paid for by Italian immigrants in 1934. Many Italians themselves were victims of persecution in the early 20th century, and the statue is a point of pride and recognition of the citizens.

But for Sacco, and other Indigenous leaders, the decision to remove the statue was a pleasant surprise.

Sacco is half Italian and half Mohawk. For him, the discussion about removing the statue was emotionally and mentally tiring.

But in the end, it was his understanding of the oppression, more than his ethnic background, that guided his position, he said.

“If [the Italians who erected the statue] alive today and know the persecution continues, do they really want the statue to remain standing? ” he says. “I’m absolutely sure they wouldn’t want that.”

Most of the arguments in favor of moving the statue revolve around Christopher Columbus’s more modern understanding. He is traditionally accepted as the first European to discover America.

But historians have also praised him for opening the door to the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. Many point to the doctrine of discovery, the creed in favor of colonialism and the taking of indigenous lands.

Betty Lyons is a citizen of Onondaga State. He is also part of the action group appointed by Walsh.

He said he was very happy that the statue would be removed. He said he understood and empathized with Italian-Americans who wanted the statue to remain. But, he said, Columbus was not the kind of Italian to celebrate.

“There are so many other Italian-Americans they could choose to raise,” he said.

He said he recognized what the statue meant to Syracuse’s Italian-American, whose parents helped found it. But the inconvenience of moving the statue, he said, paled in comparison to the suffering the natives suffered.

Lyons praised Walsh for making “a bold decision.”

“There will be a lot of backlash against this decision,” he said. “But his courage to take the right steps, for no other reason than that is the right thing to do, will live in our hearts forever.”

The backlash came fast and hard on Friday.

Columbus Monument Corp. announced that he was exploring legal options to stop Walsh from removing the statue.

The group’s secretary, Bob Gardino, said he felt betrayed by Walsh.

“We are deeply disappointed by the lack of respect shown by the Mayor of Walsh,” he said.

Nick Pirro, a former county executive, is a member of the action group and part of the Monument Company. He said Walsh’s decision was about politics, not history.

Pirro and Gardino both felt that the Walsh committee supported the removal of the statue. Gardino said Walsh chose people who would support the decision to move the statue. And he said InterFaith Works, which facilitated the meeting, was not an impartial mediator.

During his Friday afternoon briefing, Walsh said many people presented the statue debate as a no-win situation. He dismissed the idea, saying the circle could remain a tribute to Italian Americans without paying tribute to Columbus.

Columbus, he said, had been a point of division.

“This decision is based on the fact that we can honor our Italian-American community without focusing on the statue which has been a source of division for decades, and obscures the original intent of the monument,” Walsh said.

The future of the Columbus Circle is still unclear. Walsh said he would appoint a new group to create a new name for the site.

Lyons said he wanted to see the circle pay tribute to peace and democracy. It is here, on the shores of Lake Onondaga, that the Onondaga Peace Bearers unite the six warring nations.

“It is a blueprint for US democracy,” he said. “Nowhere else in the world can they say they have the birthplace of democracy … that’s astonishing.”

As an Amazon Associate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.

.



image source