Tag Archives: United Arab Emirates

Emirates to offer exclusive content to travel counselors from July 1 | Instant News


Emirates will offer exclusive content and services to its travel consultant partners on its New Distribution Capability (NDC) compatible direct connect platform, Emirates Gateway, from July 1, 2021. A surcharge on all bookings made through GDS will also be applied on the same day. This follows the launch of Emirates Gateway in October last year and marks an important milestone in Emirates’ plans to create a vibrant market by offering trading partners a choice of connection options and differentiated products and benefits. on all channels. Agencies not registered with Emirates Gateway can continue to access Emirates legacy content EDIFACT through airline GDS partners Amadeus, Travelport, Travelsky, Infini and Sirena; However, to mitigate the higher cost Emirates incurs via GDS distribution, starting July 1, 2021, bookings made through GDS will incur a distribution surcharge of between $ 14 and $ 25 per ticket depending on the length of the sector. . Free Luxury Travel Newsletter Like this story? Subscribe to The Dossier Luxury Travel Advisor’s only newsletter, covering unique destinations and product news for affluent travelers. Delivered every Tuesday and Thursday. Emirates is working with interested business partners to bring them aboard the Emirates Gateway, which provides access to the widest range of Emirates fare products, including exclusive content not available in indirect channels, and where bookings will not result in distribution supplement. From July 1, 2021, the following NDC content will be available to Advisors, via Emirates Gateway: Access to differentiated ticket prices, such as dedicated promotional fares and presales Ability to sell excess baggage, enabling a customer experience improved Access to rich content Differentiated pricing for some ancillary services Faster access to new ancillary products Emirates Gateway content is accessible through three access solutions: Emirates Booking Portal: a user-friendly web-based booking portal available in 16 languages, connected directly to Emirates reservation systems which simplifies the booking, ticketing and post-ticketing service of orders Emirates Emirates Gateway Direct: which allows access to Emirates content through the IATA standard NDC APIs, allowing our business partners to create applications that meet their needs Emirates Gateway Sync: an easy link to Emirates products and services provided by industry leader, IATA registered, Emirates certified technology pa rtners Travel counselors interested in Emirates Gateway can obtain more information on the Emirates Partner Portal (www.emirates.partners) or contact the Emirates sales team. Related Articles Emirates Skywards Extends Tier Status Through 2022 Etihad Vaccines 100% Of Crew Onboard Delta To Continue Blocking Intermediate Seat Until April 2021 Emirates Redefines Signature Onboard Experience.



image source

Italy permanently stops arms sales to Saudi Arabia, UAE | Weapons News | Instant News


Italian figures from 2019 show Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates in the 10th and 11th largest markets for Italian arms exports.

Italy has stopped selling thousands of missiles to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) because of their involvement in the Yemen conflict, creating a temporary suspension of 18 months on a permanent basis.

“Today I announce that the government has withdrawn its current authorization for the export of missiles and aircraft bombs to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates,” Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio said on Friday.

“[This is] actions that we perceive because, a clear message of peace comes from our country. For us, respect for human rights is a commitment that cannot be broken, ”said Di Maio, who did not mention Yemen but had referred to the conflict there when he ordered the initial suspension in July 2019.

The Italian Peace and Disarmament Network, a campaign group, hailed the move as “historic” and estimated that it would see orders for more than 12,700 armaments canceled.

The blocked sales are part of a total rationing of 20,000 missiles worth more than 400 million euros ($ 485 million) agreed in 2016 under the center-left government led by former Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, the disarmament group said.

This “ends, once and for all, the possibility that thousands of weaponry produced in Italy could strike civilian facilities, cause casualties among the population or contribute to worsening an already serious humanitarian situation”, the group said.

There was no public reaction from Saudi Arabia or the UAE at the time of publication.

In 2019, several European Union countries froze arms sales to Saudi Arabia, which leads a military coalition fighting Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen in a conflict that has killed tens of thousands of people.

The United Nations describes Yemen as the world’s biggest humanitarian crisis, with 80 percent of its people in need of assistance.

Italy’s latest figures – dated to 2019 – show Saudi Arabia and the UAE ranked 10th and 11th on the list of the largest markets for Italian arms exports.

Exports to Saudi Arabia were worth 105.4 million euros ($ 128 million), while those to the UAE were worth 89.9 million euros ($ 109.1 million).

Arabia, ‘New Renaissance’

Italy’s decision comes after controversy over the guest appearance of former prime minister Renzi at a high-profile event hosted by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Renzi, Di Maio’s longtime enemy, is under the spotlight in Rome for pulling out of the ruling coalition earlier this month and forcing the resignation of Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.

In Riyadh, he spoke at the Future Investment Initiative – nicknamed “Davos in the desert” – in a pre-recorded video with the prince, also known as MBS.

Despite longstanding concerns about Saudi Arabia’s human rights record, Renzi said the Gulf oil monarchy “could be a new renaissance setting for the future”.

.



image source

Italy Blocks Missile Sales to Saudi Arabia and the UAE | World News | Instant News


ROME (Reuters) – Italy has halted the sale of thousands of missiles to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio said on Friday, citing Rome’s commitment to restoring peace in war-torn Yemen and protecting human rights.

Saudi Arabia and the UAE are part of an Arab coalition that has been battling the Iran-allied Houthis in Yemen since 2015 in a conflict seen as a proxy war between Riyadh and Tehran. The United Nations describes Yemen as the world’s biggest humanitarian crisis, with 80% of the population in need of assistance.

“This is an action which we consider necessary, a clear message of peace coming from our country. For us, respect for human rights is an unbreakable commitment,” Di Maio said in a statement.

The Italian Network for Peace and Disarmament said Rome’s decision would block the sale of some 12,700 missiles to Saudi Arabia.

The blocked sales are part of a total rationing of 20,000 missiles worth more than 400 million euros ($ 485 million) agreed in 2016 under the center-left government led by Matteo Renzi, the disarmament group said.

Renzi, who sparked a government collapse in Rome this week by withdrawing his party Viva Italia from the coalition, has come under fire for recently visiting Saudi Arabia, where he told the crown prince he saw the country as a “New Renaissance” place.

The new administration of US President Joe Biden has halted several pending arms sales that could potentially affect Washington’s allies in the Middle East.

(Reporting by Angelo Amante; Editing by Gareth Jones)

Copyright 2021 Thomson Reuters.

.



image source

A British court says Abraaj’s founder can be extradited to the US | Instant News


LONDON (Reuters) – A London court ruled on Thursday that the founder of Dubai-based private equity firm Abraaj Group could be extradited to the United States, where he is wanted on charges of fraud, but said the government had to make a final decision.

FILE PHOTOS: Arif Naqvi, Founder and CEO, The Abraaj Group, speaking at the Bloomberg Global Business Forum in New York, USA, September 20, 2017. REUTERS / Brendan McDermid / File Photo

US prosecutors have accused Arif Naqvi, a Pakistani businessman, of being the architect of a plot to defraud investors including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Naqvi’s lawyers, who have denied the allegations through a public relations firm, said he could face up to 291 years in prison if convicted in the United States.

In her written decision, Senior District Judge Emma Arbuthnot ruled there was no prohibition against extradition under several articles of the 2003 British Extradition Act.

But for human rights considerations, the judge said he would refer the case to the British government for a decision on whether Naqvi should be extradited.

Dubai-based Abraaj was the largest buying fund in the Middle East and North Africa until it collapsed in 2018, after investors raised concerns about managing a $ 1 billion health care fund.

The decision follows a British judge’s decision this month that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange should not be extradited to the United States to face criminal charges, including violating spying laws. The ruling said Assange’s mental health problems meant he would be at risk of suicide.

Naqvi’s lawyers also argue that she is at risk of suicide, is suffering from severe depression and is showing signs of psychotic episodes.

The Naqvi defense team did not immediately respond to questions whether they planned to appeal the decision.

The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) accused Naqvi and his company of raising money for the Abraaj Growth Markets Health Fund, raising more than $ 100 million over three years from US-based charitable organizations and other US investors.

According to the SEC’s complaint, Naqvi misused money from the health fund and mixed it with corporate funds from Abraaj Investment Management and its parent company, and used it for purposes unrelated to health funds.

Naqvi was arrested in Britain in 2019 and released from custody on bail that same year.

Reporting by Tom Arnold. Edited by Kirstin Ridley and Mark Potter

.



image source

We want the injections we have ordered, says Britain, as the vaccine array in Europe grows sharper | Instant News


LONDON (Reuters) – Europe’s struggle to secure supplies of the COVID-19 vaccine took a sharp turn on Thursday when Britain demanded that it accept all injections it had paid for after the European Union asked AstraZeneca to divert supplies from Britain.

A small bottle, sryinge and small toy figures are seen in front of the British flag on display in this illustration taken on January 11, 2021. REUTERS / Dado Ruvic / Illustration

The European Union, whose member states are far behind Israel, Great Britain and the United States in launching vaccines, is struggling to get supplies just as the West’s biggest drug maker has slowed shipments to the bloc because of production problems.

As vaccination centers in some parts of Germany and France canceled or delayed appointments, the EU publicly reprimanded Anglo-Swedish drug maker AstraZeneca for failing to deliver even though the vaccine had not been approved by the block.

This received a stern response from AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot who said the EU was late in reaching the supply contract so that the company did not have enough time to resolve production problems at a vaccine factory run by partners in Belgium.

Britain, which has repeatedly praised its lead in the vaccine-launch race since leaving EU orbit on January 1, said its delivery must be honored.

“I think we need to make sure that the supplies of the vaccines that have been bought and paid for, which are obtained for those who are in the UK, are delivered,” Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove told LBC Radio.

Asked repeatedly whether the UK government would prevent AstraZeneca from diverting supplies of essential vaccines from the UK to the EU, Gove said the most important thing was for Britain to receive its orders as planned and on time.

CRUNCH VACCINE?

The fastest mass vaccination attempt in history has sparked tensions around the world as major nations buy vaccines in bulk and poorer nations try to navigate financial and diplomatic minefields to gather whatever supplies are left.

The EU failed to make inroads in crisis talks with AstraZeneca on Wednesday and demanded the drug maker explain how it will supply the block with spare doses of the COVID-19 vaccine from factories in Europe and the UK.

Tensions have risen against the backdrop of supply problems from another major Western vaccine supplier – Pfizer – which announced a delivery delay.

Israel is by far the world leader in vaccine launches per head of population, followed by the United Arab Emirates, Britain, Bahrain and the United States. Behind them are Italy, Germany, France, China and Russia.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Wednesday it would be a shame if Britain remained in the EU vaccine program rather than making up its own plans.

The UK has injected the first 7.1 million doses of the vaccine into the gun, and is on track to give the injection to all over 70s, frontline medical and care workers, clinically vulnerable and older nursing home residents. – about 15 million people – on February 15. .

RAPTURE CANCELED

In the northern French region of Hauts-de-France, France’s second most populous region, several vaccination centers no longer make appointments for the first injection. In other parts of France, some online appointment platforms have closed booking options.

Germany’s most populous state, North Rhine-Westphalia last week postponed opening of a vaccination center until February 8, while the state of Brandenburg also had to cancel a vaccination pledge originally scheduled for the end of January due to delivery delays.

AstraZeneca’s Soriot told La Repubblica Italia that the problem had to do with the manufacture of the vaccine itself: He said one site with a large capacity had yield problems with cell cultures producing vaccines in 1,000 or 2,000 liter batches.

He said there were similar problems in the UK supply chain, but the British contract was signed three months before the European deal, so there was an additional three months to fix the disruption.

Germany’s Health Minister said he expected the current shortage of the coronavirus vaccine to continue into April, as the government faced renewed criticism over the speed of the vaccination program.

On Thursday, Germany’s best-selling Bild newspaper described issues surrounding vaccine procurement as “scandalous”.

Reporting by Emma Thomasson and Paul Carrel in Berlin and Matthias Blamont in Paris and Kate Holton in London; written by Guy Faulconbridge; edited by Keith Weir and Nick Macfie

.



image source