Tag Archives: world

Prince Philip’s Death: Fifty years of royal visit to New Zealand | Instant News


He was born in Greece, attended schools in France, Germany and Scotland, trained in England and served in World War II naval theater in the Indian Ocean and Mediterranean Sea.

And, 10 times with his wife and less often alone, Prince Philip – who died Friday at age 99 – crossed many oceans to reach a collection of islands so distant from British monarchy a few kilometers further and he would find himself on his way back.

The first time, in the summer of 1953-1954, his wife Elizabeth was not only the newly crowned Queen, but also a mother of two.

Preparations, despite being offset by the Tangiwai tragedy – Prince Philip will lay wreaths at a mass funeral for victims of the Christmas Eve disaster – go far beyond digging up pregnant women.

Sheep tinged with Union Jack colors, sails erected to block tired buildings and armies of children in freshly sewn clothes were dispatched to parks, squares and train stations across the country.

The Queen and Prince Philip wave as the Royal chariot leaves Hastings in 1954.Photo / File
The Queen and Prince Philip wave as the Royal chariot leaves Hastings in 1954.Photo / File

Rotorua girl Miriama Searancke, 13, was among them, walking into Arawa Park with thousands of players and spectators in her new red boots with the Crown and the initials ER on the side.

“Everyone comes to perform for the Queen,” Searancke told the Daily Post in 2018.

“It was amazing.”

The 38-day tour takes the couple to 46 major cities and 110 events, with three-quarters of the country thought to have seen a royal surge.

Like all of the couple’s official tours over the past seven decades of marriage, Prince Philip is usually in the background.

When Pat Jamieson joined the crowd chanting “We want the Queen” outside the Revington Hotel in Greymouth, he was sure he actually took the couple to the balcony.
after – in a moment of silence – shouting “I want Duke”.

The 11-year-old had shared a moment with the empress earlier in the day after running half a mile beside their car during a street parade, she later told the NZHistory Government website.

“The Duke of Edinburgh looked across and said, ‘If you run any further, you’ll explode.'”

Masterton met the Royal couple in 1954. Image of Prince Philip at right.  Photos / Files
Masterton met the Royal couple in 1954. Image of Prince Philip at right. Photos / Files

He’s known for his long list of blunt – and often outrageous – comments.

One, drawn up in a 1954 letter to Australian politician Sir Harold Hartley and unearthed last year, paints a different picture of the Duke of Edinburgh’s thinking about New Zealand and its inhabitants than one can get from spontaneous waves or the laying of wreaths.

Māori are treated in New Zealand like “museum objects and pets”, he wrote, and the country is a “perfect welfare state” that is “excessively regulated with little room for initiative”.

However, he was impressed by the exhibits of the Māori culture museum, a special interest after reading The Coming of the Māori by Sir Peter Buck / Te Rangi Hīroa (Ngāti Mutunga).

And her people are “universally charming and overall most caring,” he wrote.

Shearer Godfrey Bowen demonstrated handheld technique for Queen and Prince Philip at Napier during the 1953/54 tour.  Photos / Files
Shearer Godfrey Bowen demonstrated handheld technique for Queen and Prince Philip at Napier during the 1953/54 tour. Photos / Files

He would return two years later – alone – to appear after the Melbourne Olympics.

A decade after their first hugely successful New Zealand tour, the royal couple sailed to the Bay of Islands on Royal Yacht Britannia on Waitangi Day 1963, visiting ports across the country, including Nelson, where the Duke – whose flagship Duke of Edinburgh rewards program helped thousands of children young people rule a precious life
skills – visit the Outward Bound School in Anakiwa.

The Queen and Duke, along with young Prince Charles and Princess Anne, returned seven years later for James Cook’s bicentennial, during which they debuted with the royal “walkabout”.

The royal couple will return to the Commonwealth Games in Christchurch four years later, three years after that to mark the Queen’s Silver Celebration – considered by some to be the closest to the joy of a quarter of a century earlier – and, in 1981, a brief visit following the Heads of the Commonwealth Government conference through the trench .

It may have been brief, but the 1981 tour left the country with captivating memories of Ginette McDonald’s Lyn of Laughter speaking directly to royals at the Royal Variety Performance.

Premium Subscription

McDonald’s, characterized by a no-bra outfit, blue jumpsuit, and wide Kiwi accent, won over the Duke when he commented on the royals opening the memorial pool at Laughter.

“The Queen doesn’t laugh at anything,” McDonald later told New Zealand Women’s Weekly.

“Prince Philip who is engaged to me. We met them after that and he mumbled something in my ear. He said he liked the sound of the ‘piddling’ pool.”

The next most notable visit came in 1990, when New Zealand marked 150 years since the signing of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and Auckland hosted the Commonwealth Games, with the Queen, Duke and their son Prince Edward in attendance.

The Queen and Prince Philip meet members of the New Zealand Team at their headquarters in Auckland, from left, Ross Blackman, Tom Schnackenberg and Dean Barker.  Photos / Files
The Queen and Prince Philip meet members of the New Zealand Team at their headquarters in Auckland, from left, Ross Blackman, Tom Schnackenberg and Dean Barker. Photos / Files

The couple’s last visit to New Zealand was in 2002, with the only fault being related to the faulty Daimler, who suffered a flat battery.

Daimler, which is only used for visiting heads of state, has a flat battery.

As the royal couple waits on their now stationary plane bound for Australia, airport workers have the embarrassing task of pushing the incapacitated car off course.

.



image source

Pakistan’s IMF commitment can dampen Imran Khan’s election plans | Instant News


The Pakistani government now finds itself at a crossroads and whatever road it chooses is likely to make history.

Crossroads have been reached with the resumption of the International Monetary Fund program, and the choice facing the governments of those countries is whether to continue on to the deficit reduction pathway committed to the IMF or chart a path considering the upcoming elections. The two cannot go hand in hand for a long time because the first involves tightening the belt and the second involves increasing spending, so choices have to be made.

Difficult choice

If Imran Khan’s government chooses to stick to the commitments former finance minister Hafeez Sheikh made to the IMF which won approval from the IMF board on March 24, they will have to sharply curb spending, raise electricity rates and fuel prices, raise taxes and roll. support the much support they have given the industry since the Covid-19 crisis, support that people in the industry have become accustomed to.

Pakistan’s prime minister has come under increasing pressure from within his own party to allow for greater spending by his National Assembly Members in their constituencies to help shore up their election prospects in the upcoming elections. To be ready to face their constituents and voters in 2023 – a reality they will face less than two years from now – they argue that they need to immediately start spending on upgrade schemes and projects.

So far, Hafeez Sheikh has limited these spending, making him a very unpopular figure in his own party. He cares more about his commitments to his creditors than the demands of his party’s Members of the National Assembly.

Increasingly now, signs are showing that the Pakistani government intends to try and renegotiate the terms of the Sheikh’s signed Fund program. It’s hard to imagine how this could be done, given the board approved the commitment and a $ 500 million first round of approval was issued.

Lack of clarity

The country’s finance minister, Hammad Azhar, said in his inaugural press conference that the IMF agreement could be “reviewed” while Imran Khan said, at the launch of the UN report on Tuesday, that he would seek a “second package” from the IMF.

It is not clear what these words actually mean. Is Hammad talking about the regular reviews that all IMF programs carry out as they are implemented? Or does he or she want to “review” commitments before starting implementation?

And with the “second package” is Khan referring to another set of commitments under the existing program? Or does he intend to ask for another loan like the one they got last April when the Covid lockdown started, the $ 1.4 billion from the Fast Financing Facility that came selflessly?

In any case, it would be a great achievement if they managed to persuade the IMF to change the targets described in the commitment the Sheikh made to the IMF prior to his departure. I don’t remember a different time when Fund program targets were renegotiated so quickly after board approval and disbursement of that phase.

If they stick to their commitments, they will make history by becoming the first government in at least a quarter of a century, if not longer, to make IMF-mandated adjustments twice in a period. All previous governments have followed the same path: they come to power, find foreign reserves depleted, approach the IMF for emergency assistance, apply painful adjustments for a year or two (sometimes even three), build reserves and fiscal space, then switch to electoral mode and spending large sums of money to try and shore up their election prospects, a move that again depletes reserves and increases deficits.

Past experience

In Pakistan, no government has managed to win re-election for at least the past three decades, which means any government will eventually abandon a dwindling treasury and huge deficits for its successors who then walk the same path.

We’ve seen this story repeat itself since at least 1988, when our story of a lasting return to the IMF began. What we haven’t seen, however, is the government making adjustments twice, and at the very least, initiating the adjustments just as the looms of an upcoming election looming over.

It is not surprising that they have been cool in carrying out the commitments made by the Sheikh to the IMF. We do not know what this commitment is because the IMF has not, as of this writing, released the program documents.

Standard practice is for these documents to be released within days of board approval. But more than 10 working days have passed since the board’s approval on March 24 and there is still no sign of it at this point.

The IMF said their operations were slowing down due to Covid-19, and workloads were increasing due to the ongoing spring meeting in DC, but that it started on April 5, more than seven working days after board approval. The delay in publishing program documents was confusing, to say the least.

On the other hand, if the government decides to “renegotiate” this commitment, it risks setting the stage for another balance of payments crisis in a year or two. The fiscal deficit has been set higher than 7% and the trade deficit is growing faster than exports and remittances each month. If they decide to pump up growth in the upcoming budget, as Hammad Azhar has tweeted they plan, it will accelerate this and create yet another new deficit. In this case, this government could make history by becoming the first government to face two balance of payments crises in one period.

This is not the enviable crossroads they face today, and how things go with the IMF is critical to how the political scene will develop.

This article first appeared on Dawn.

.



image source

Brazil’s top court ordered an investigation into Bolsonaro’s handling of the pandemic | Instant News


Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro speaks at the Planalto Palace, in Brasilia, Brazil, on March 31. Mateus Bononi / Getty Images

The Brazilian Senate will open an investigation into the government’s handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, as President Jair Bolsonaro continues to avoid lockdown measures despite the country’s rising death toll.

Earlier this week, Bolsonaro ignore criticism that he is “genocidal” in his opposition to Covid-19 restrictions, as the country notes 24 hours of the deadliest of the pandemic. Bolsonaro has downplayed the threat of the virus while claiming that the economic impact of the shutdown will hurt Brazilians more than Covid-19.

Brazil’s Supreme Court Judge Luis Roberto Barroso ordered the Senate to set up an inquiry commission on Thursday, following requests from 32 of the 81 Brazilian senators. In announcing the decision, Barroso said that Brazil was “at its worst, breaking record daily deaths and regrettable cases of infection.”

On Thursday, Brazil recorded more than 4,200 new Covid-19 deaths in 24 hours, raising the total toll to more than 345,000 – second only to the United States.

Senate president Rodrigo Pacheco said he would abide by the order but the investigation could sabotage efforts to combat the pandemic and become “the political theater leading up to the 2022 elections”.

The investigation will look into the actions of former health minister Luiz Henrique Mandetta, Nelson Teich, army general Eduardo Pazuello, and current health minister Marcelo Queiroga.

Barroso has called for investigations to focus on the “acts and omissions” of the federal government, particularly in the state of Amazonas. Several Covid-19 patients reportedly died in Manaus, the state capital, when the hospital ran out of oxygen earlier this year.

The Supreme Court also ruled Thursday that states and cities have the power to ban live religious gatherings, a move that Bolsonaro has strongly opposed.

.



image source

UN Committee on Enforced Disappearances to Review Switzerland, Colombia and Mongolia | Instant News


GENEVA (8 April 2021) – United Nations Enforced Disappearances Committee (CED) will hold its upcoming sessions from April 12 to May 7, including reviewing the country reports of Switzerland, Colombia and Mongolia.

The 20th session will begin on April 12 at 12:30 Geneva time, and will be handled by a survivor of enforced disappearance in 2018. The woman, who joined from Mexico, will pay tribute to all victims of enforced disappearance and share her views. about the impact of the Committee’s work in its case. The opening and victim’s testimony will be broadcast on the web Web TV.

During the session, the Committee, which has received individual country reports from Switzerland, Colombia and Mongolia, and input from non-governmental organizations, will discuss various issues with the respective State delegations.

Among the possible issues to be discussed:

Switzerland (April 13-15): domestic law on enforced disappearances; wrong transfer of children; measures taken to respect the principle of non-refoulement in cases of enforced disappearance; training of relevant state officials on the prevention and eradication of enforced disappearances.

Colombia (19-20 April): harmonization of domestic law with International Conventions, search & investigation & reparations mechanisms.

Mongolia
(21-23 April): criminalization, investigation and prevention of enforced disappearances, including measures to ensure respect for fundamental legal protections and to maintain accurate records of all persons deprived of their liberty.

The above public dialogue will be held online and live broadcast. Further information on the 20th session, including reports submitted by States Parties and schedules for public dialogue, is now available at session site.

© Scoop Media

.



image source

UK regulators say under 30 years of age should be offered alternatives to the AstraZeneca vaccine if available | Instant News


A White House official said on Wednesday that the US will be close to having nearly half of all adults with the first injection of the coronavirus vaccine by this weekend.

This comes after the White House’s senior adviser on Covid-19 responded to Andy Slavitt an ambitious timeline to CNN’s Chris Cuomo on Tuesday evening.

“We are on track that by the weekend, half of the adults in the country will get their first injection,” Slavitt said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said 41.7% of the population over 18 had received at least one dose of the vaccine.

Slavitt warns that “more than 100 million adults are still unvaccinated.”

“They are not there yet, and you are not going to win the war until you take everyone with you,” he added.

President Biden, meanwhile, has move deadlines for all US adults to be eligible for the Covid vaccine April 19. Speaking at the White House yesterday, Biden said that 150 million doses of the coronavirus vaccine had been given in his first 75 days in office, in line with the target of 200 million injections on his 100th day in office.

Despite these increases and the number of positive vaccines, the US has a long way to go achieve herd immunity. Anthony Fauci estimates that 70-85% of the population should be immune. And the pace for vaccinating all willing adults varies widely between states, according to an analysis of CNN federal data.

And although health experts warn the battle against Covid-19 has not been won, many countries have reopened and others plan to do so soon.

California plans to fully reopen activities and businesses from June 15, as infection rates fall, hospitalizations are low and vaccinations increase in the state. Governor of Vermont Phil Scott explained a Planned reopening 90 days leading up to July 4. Officials estimate that about 70% of Vermont’s population will receive at least one dose of the vaccine at that time.

Meanwhile, the daily number of new cases has been increasing over the past four weeks due to highly contagious variants such as B.1.1.7. has spread, according to the CDC. In the past week, five states accounted for about 44% of new Covid-19 cases, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

There have been about 453,000 new cases in the state in the past seven days, with New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey reporting nearly 198,000 such cases.

Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota said that even though the state was vaccinating rapidly, enough people had not been vaccinated to get past the spread.

I hope we have 3 or 4 more months before this surge in variant B.1.1.7 starts happening, “Osterholm added.

What does life look like after vaccination? Experts and officials are debating how to monitor vaccinations once life in the US regains a sense of normality.

Read more:

.



image source