Coronavirus Update: Britain has the second highest mortality rate in Europe, US drug trials show success for remdesivir, a Tasmanian outbreak linked to Ruby Princess | Instant News


Britain now has the second highest mortality rate in Europe, preliminary results of US drug trials have been hailed as “very significant”, and a report has found the Tasmanian outbreak is likely to originate from Ruby Princess.

This story is updated regularly throughout Thursday. You can also stay informed with the latest episodes from Coronacast Podcast.

Thursday’s headlines

Another death in Tasmania, the plague is related to Ruby Princess

The Prime Minister of Tasmania said there was no Princess Ruby passenger to blame for the outbreak(ABC News)

A 86 year old woman with coronavirus have died in Tasmania.

This morning, Premier was released the findings of a report into a coronavirus outbreak in northwest Tasmania.

It found the outbreak that was most likely to come from Ruby Princess cruise ship.

The report found that some infectious staff worked at a local hospital for several days while experiencing symptoms they did not consider coronavirus.

There are 136 cases of coronavirus in northwest Tasmania, including 81 health workers.

Possible coronavirus cluster is related to Melbourne’s elderly care facilities

An old man sat in a rocking chair overlooking the sunlit garden next to a flower vase on the table.
Three new cases have been confirmed at the Hawthorn Grange facility.(ABC News: Natasha Johnson, photo file)

Victoria authorities are investigating the possibility of new corona virus clusters related to a Elderly care facilities Melbourne.

State Health Agency chief Brett Sutton told 3AW authorities that he was investigating a number of cases related to the care of elderly people in Hawthorn Grange housing.

Speaking on ABC Radio Melbourne, he said there was three new positive cases at home, including two residents and one staff member.

Professor Sutton said strict protective measures were put in place because “the potential for deployment was enormous”.

Seven new cases has been confirmed in Victoria, bringing the total to 1,361.

Easy restrictions are expected for Tasmania and the Northern Territory

Tasmania and the Northern Territory are expected to announce next phase their coronavirus response today.

Regulations that limit attendance at weddings and outdoor funerals will be lifted in the Northern Territory from tomorrow.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer of Australia Nick Coatsworth told ABC News Breakfast that it “doesn’t make sense” for the Territory, which already exists “no community case”, to have the same size as New South Wales.

Tasmanian Prime Minister Peter Gutwein had predicted that restrictions would likely be reduced in his country as well.

Meanwhile, no new cases corona virus has been confirmed in South Australia for a week.

This is a confirmed new case that has been announced so far today:

Britain has the second highest outbreak in Europe

The United Kingdom now has the second worst number of deaths in Europe and Britain third worst in the world, after the British Government began including deaths from outside hospitals in its daily death rate.

Britain is now only behind the United States and Italy in total deaths due to COVID-19, after it was revealed the total was in 26,097 – up from the previous day’s hospital-only rate of 21,678.

But Foreign Minister Dominic Raab said there was no “sudden spike” in deaths because the figures now include all deaths attributed to COVID-19 from between March 2 and April 28.

Comparatively, the US has lost more than 60,000 people because coronavirus while Italian fatalities are only around 27,000.

Trump will not extend social distance guidelines past this week

Donald Trump walked in front of Jared Kushner and gave a thumbs up.
Jared Kushner said he believed May would be a “transitional month”.(Reuters: Kevin Lamarque, photo file)

US President Donald Trump said he would not extend national coronavirus social assessment guidelines once they ended on Thursday (local time), saying this was now the role of the governor.

The White House is focusing on reopening the economy of the state by country, amid fears that lifting restrictions too quickly and without adequate testing and contact tracing can lead to a revival.

Trump said he wanted to return to normal – “with or without” vaccines – including crowded restaurants and crowded stadiums.

Trump also announced plans to continue the journey, saying that hopefully in the “not too distant future” there will be “some massive demonstration and people will sit next to each other “.

Trump’s son-in-law and advisor, Jared Kushner, who has helped lead the response effort, said in an interview with Fox News and Fox Friends that he was sure May would be “transition month”.

Remdesivir drug trial considered ‘very significant’

An ampoule of medicine is in someone's hands
Anthony Fauci said the drug would become a “standard of care”.(Reuters: Ulrich Perrey)

Top US communicable disease official Anthony Fauci praised the “very significant” initial results of a US trial of an experimental antiviral remdesivir drug for treating COVID-19.

Preliminary results from the trial show that patients were given remdesivir recover 31 percent faster than those given a placebo.

Dr. Fauci likened it to 1986 when “we fought for drugs for HIV and we had nothing.”

The US Food and Drug Administration said it had discussed with makers of Gilead Sciences Inc. about making remdesivir available to patients as quickly as possible, but the agency declined to comment on plans to approve drug regulation.

Lawrence K Altman, a global colleague at The Wilson Center in Washington DC, said the new data offered a “a glimmer of hope” but not ready to celebrate the initial findings.

He said more scientific analysis was needed comparing trials with other studies of drugs that had been demonstrated “mixed results”.

The US economy moved back in the first quarter, but even worse

Millions of people have lost their jobs due to coronavirus in the US.(David Grunfeld / Advocate via AP)

The US economy has suffered the sharpest decline in 11 years, with first quarter GDP contracting 4.8 percent quarterly annual rates according to the Department of Commerce.

This marks the end of the longest period of US economic expansion.

However, the April-June period is currently expected much worse, with the Congressional Budget Office predicting that economic activity will plunge this quarter at a 40 percent annual rate.

That would be the worst quarter since the record was first compiled in 1947, and four times its size from the worst quarterly contraction recorded in 1958.

Most economists have rejected the idea of ​​a quick and sharp rebound, or a V-shaped recovery, arguing that many small businesses will disappear.

They also estimated several estimates 26.5 million people those who have applied for unemployment benefits since mid-March are unlikely to find new jobs.

The mayor of NYC said “the time for the memorial has passed” after the big funeral

Load

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has ordered a crackdown at a large Hasidic Jewish cemetery where mourners opposed social rules that alienated.

Social media pictures show hundreds of people on the road to a funeral, which was reported for a rabbi who died of COVID-19.

Mitchell Silber, executive director of the Community Security Initiative, a program to protect Jewish Institutions, said that the rabbinic congregation had work with the police on plans to close the streets so that cemeteries can obey distancing social rules.

Load

But he said, both the rabbi and his congregation surprised by the number of people present.

The United States has about one third of the more than 3 million coronavirus infections in the world and more than 60,000 deaths – with more than 18,000 in New York City, according to Johns Hopkins University.

WHO says it acts ‘quickly and decisively’

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus sat in front of the microphone and gestured with his hands.
WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the body had sounded the alarm on coronaviruses earlier and often.(Reuters: Denis Balibouse)

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, head of the World Health Organization (WHO), has defended the group’s response to coronavirus in the face of criticism in recent weeks.

Dr Tedros gave a timeline of what WHO knew before announcing COVID-19 as a global emergency on January 30, saying the organization had “act quickly and decisively”.

He said the organization would re-establish an emergency committee to review the evolution of the pandemic.

Earlier this month, US President Donald Trump said he would do it stop funding for WHO, said it had promoted China’s “disinformation” about viruses and “must take responsibility”.

People are confused as ‘doctor outbreaks’ roam the English village

Someone walked wearing a long black robe, hat and beak-shaped mask.
Ms Gosbell said the outbreak doctor had sparked entertainment and debate in her village.(Provided: Jade Gosbell)

Someone who wears a long black robe and has a beak-shaped mask both scared and amused locals in the English village of Hellesdon.

The clothes are reminiscent of a 17th century a doctor outbreak, when those who treat Black Death sufferers think masks like birds will protect them from infection.

Jade Gosbell told her ABC “can’t believe” when he saw the figure walking around every day.

“It’s 20 degrees, which is the bikini weather for us Brits, and some men just walk around wearing a big plague doctor costume with a mask covering his face. I just think it’s silly because he must be very hot,” he said.

Illustration of someone in a long robe with a beak mask.
Illustration of a plague doctor in seventeenth-century Rome.(Wikimedia Commons)

According to the BBC, the Norfolk police “wanted to track the person to give words of advice“Button.

The polio outbreak paralyzes children in Niger

The World Health Organization (WHO) says Niger has been hit a new outbreak of polio, following the suspension of immunization activities during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The UN health agency reported that two children were infected by a highly contagious waterborne disease and one was paralyzed.

The plague was triggered by a mutated virus originating from the vaccine and not connected to the previous polio epidemic that was stopped by Niger last year, WHO said in a statement.

In rare cases, a live virus in an oral polio vaccine can develop into a form that is capable of triggering new outbreaks among children who are not immunized; stopping the epidemic requires more targeted vaccinations.

Earlier this month, WHO and partners announced them forced to stop all polio vaccination activities until at least June 1, acknowledging that decision would definitely result in more paralyzed children.

Pompeo said he was worried about pathogens in Chinese laboratories

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke while moving his hands.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo reignited discussions about pathogens in Chinese laboratories.(AP: Andrew Caballero-Reynolds)

United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he believes there are many laboratories in China that are currently working infectious pathogen, but do not know whether the facility has adequate security to prevent future pandemics.

The US and others have floated the theory that coronaviruses originate from laboratories, but WHO maintains the most likely explanation is that the virus starts naturally in the wildlife market and is transmitted between animals and humans.

“There are several laboratories that continue to do work, we think, on infectious pathogens inside China today,” Mr Pompeo told a State Department press conference.

Earlier, Yuan Zhiming, professor at the Wuhan Virology Institute and director of the National Biosafety Laboratory, said “evil” claims about the laboratory were “pulled out of thin air” and contradicts all available evidence.

Tennis is unlikely to return service within the next three months

Lopez with a red headband and shirt with a yellow skull hit the backhand.
Spaniard Feliciano Lopez says world tennis is unlikely to return in three months.(Reuters: Ciro De Luca)

Spanish veteran Feliciano Lopez said he was “not very positive” about the possibility of ATP and WTA Tours returning to normal in three months and believes it would be unfair to continue if some parts of the world remain isolated.

Professional tennis closed in mid-March due to the COVID-19 pandemic and will not return until at least mid-July, but Lopez believes that maybe too optimistic.

Wimbledon has been canceled for the first time since World War II, while the French Open has been returned to September after the US Open, which is still depends on balance.

“Right now it’s more about the US Open – when they will announce that if we finally get to play there, maybe the Tour will continue,” Lopez told the Tennis Legends podcast from Eurosport.

He said he was afraid of situations where certain players will not be able to compete, depending on the situation in their country.

What are the long-term costs to access early retirement funds?

ABC / cable

.



image source

to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]