R.I has 17 more deaths and 327 new cases of coronavirus, as Governor Raimondo spoke on Saturday | Instant News


PROVIDENCE – With a week before the order to stay at the governor’s house expires, the number of Rhode Islanders who are positive with corona virus and death due to disease has remained stable.

17 others have died and 327 tested positive, according to data released Saturday by the state Department of Health. That increased the number of Rhode Island deaths to 296, with a total of 9,289 people who tested positive for coronavirus.

The number of hospitalizations is consistent, with 352 people being hospitalized, 76 in the intensive care unit, and 51 ventilators.

Governor Gina M. Raimondo held a press conference broadcast on television at the State House on Saturday at 1pm.

There was a brief decrease in the number of cases and deaths at the start of the week. Since it’s over. The governor said that the spread of the corona virus appeared to be in the highlands, but this figure had to decline before the country’s economic reopening gradually began.

Raimondo said, Friday that he hopes to launch the first phase on May 9, which will include the reopening of state parks. State beaches can be reopened on Memorial Day weekend.

However, Raimondo warned that residents must continue to practice social distance and wear masks while in public.

Health officials must also increase the number of people tested per day, to understand where the disease spreads and how to deal with it. So far, there have been nearly 70,000 tests conducted on Rhode Island, including 3,280 only on Friday – the highest number in a day.

While most outbreaks in Rhode Island have been found in nursing homes, relief home facilities and group homes, this week health officials have also confirmed more cases in Adult Penitentiaries and R.I Training Schools.

Between five and 10 staff members and fewer than five teenagers at the Training School have tested positive for COVID-19, health spokesman Joseph Wendelken said Thursday. Since then, a professional cleaning company has cleaned and cleaned the facility, and staff have improved cleanliness.

Staff are screened when they enter the building, and young people held in facilities are screened for symptoms twice a day. All are required to wear face masks, except when the youths are in their rooms, said Wendelken.

The Penitentiary Department said on Thursday that now 11 correctional staff have tested positive for the virus, including two in Medium Security. “Given the specific situation and population size, additional surveillance testing, medical planning and preventive measures are taken to keep staff and prisoners safe,” said Correction spokesman J.R. Ventura in a statement.

Two people awaiting trial are being held in medical isolation for the virus, he said.

This story will be updated during the governor’s press conference.


Amanda Milkovits can be contacted at [email protected]



image source

to request modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]