2019 FINA WORLD AQUATICS CHAMPIONSHIPS
When Caeleb Dressel broke Michael Phelps‘ World File within the semifinals of the 100 butterfly on the 2019 FINA World Championships, the Phelps period of swimming turned in direction of its proverbial last lap.
Two days earlier than Dressel broke the 100 butterfly document, Hungarian Kristof Milak broke Phelps’ seemingly untouchable 200 butterfly World File from 2009, registering a 1:50.73 to win by over three seconds–a margin additionally according to Phelps when racing the 200 fly.
With out butterfly, Michael Phelps‘ final remaining World File is the 400 IM, set on the 2008 Beijing Olympics in 4:03.84. Phelps’ protege and former coaching companion Chase Kalisz seemingly inherited the mantle as King of the IMs, although he was upset by Japan’s Daiya Seto within the last of the 200 IM in Gwangju. What every man is able to within the 400 IM this 12 months stays to be seen, however it’s unlikely both will get near Phelps’ mark from 2008. In truth, the closest anybody has gotten to Phelps’ time since 2008 was Ryan Lochte on the 2012 London Olympic Video games when he received gold in 4:05.18.
Although Lochte fell wanting breaking the World File within the 400 IM, he has twice lowered the mark within the 200 IM. First, on the 2009 World Championships in a discipline with out Phelps, Lochte turned in a time of 1:54.10 to surpass Phelps’ 1:54.23 from Beijing. On the 2011 World Championship, Lochte put up a 1:54.00, beating Phelps head-to-head and reducing the document once more.
Along with being an unbelievable particular person performer, Phelps was a outstanding member of American relays all through his profession, with out which he would by no means have achieved the unbelievable eight gold medal haul of the Beijing Olympics. With assistance from dozens of teammates over time, Phelps helped to decrease the World Information within the Four x 100 freestyle relay, Four x 100 medley relay, and Four x 200 freestyle relay.
On the peak of his profession in 2009, earlier than the World Championships started in Rome, Phelps owned 5 Particular person LCM World Information:
- 200 Freestyle – 1:42.96 (2008 Beijing Olympics)
- 100 Butterfly – 50.22 (2009 U.S. Nationwide Championships)
- 200 Butterfly – 1:52.03 (2008 Beijing Olympics)
- 200 IM – 1:54.23 (2008 Beijing Olympics)
- 400 IM – 4:03.84 (2008 Beijing Olympics)
4 of the 5 World Information Phelps held prior the 2009 World Championships had been damaged in Rome, although two of them had been damaged by Phelps himself–the 100 and 200 butterflys. It’s price noting that Serbia’s Milorad Cavic owned the World File within the 100 butterfly for someday, reaching a 50.01 within the semifinals, although Phelps took it again within the finals, profitable within the 49.82 that was simply bested by Caeleb Dressel. Right now Phelps was additionally member of three relay World Information, giving him a complete of eight World Information, every of which accompanied a medal on the 2008 Beijing Olympics, save the 100 butterfly.
The opposite two data Phelps misplaced in Rome he by no means acquired again. A type of, the 200 freestyle, which was set by Germany’s Paul Biedermann at 1:42.00 nonetheless stands to at the present time. The 200 IM, in the meantime, was damaged by Ryan Lochte, after which lowered by Lochte once more in 2011 to the document of immediately.
Phelps nonetheless owns the American File within the 200 fly at 1:51.51, set on the 2009 World Championships, in addition to the American File within the 200 freestyle at 1:42.96, set on the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Phelps additionally retains a handful of Nationwide Age Group (NAG) Information, although with the emergence of teenage phenoms Luca Urlando and Carson Foster, who specialise in butterfly and IM, respectively, Phelps’ identify exhibits up much less and fewer on the document books.
Particular person Information Remaining:
- 400 IM, 2008 Beijing Olympic Video games – 4:03.84
- 200 Butterfly, 2009 World Championships – 1:51.51
- 200 Freestyle, 2008 Beijing Olympics – 1:42.96
Nationwide Age Group (NAG) Information:
- 200 LCM Butterfly – 1:59.02
- 400 LCM IM – 4:24.77
- 200 LCM Butterfly – 1:54.58
- 400 SCY IM – 3:42.08
- 200 LCM Freestyle – 1:45.99
- 100 LCM Butterfly, 2003 World Championships – 51.10
- 200 LCM IM, 2003 World Championships – 1:55.94
- 400 LCM IM, 2003 World Championships – 4:09.09
- 500 SCY Freestyle – 4:12.33
Relay Information Remaining:
World & American Information:
- Males’s Four x 100 LCM Freestyle Relay, 2008 Beijing Olympics – 3:08.24
- Michael Phelps (47.51), Garrett Weber-Gale (47.02), Cullen Jones (47.65), Jason Lezak (46.06)
- Males’s Four x 200 LCM Freestyle Relay, 2009 World Championships – 6:58.55
- Males’s Four x 100 LCM Medley Relay, 2009 World Championships – 3:27.28
- Aaron Piersol (52.19), Eric Shanteau (58.57), Michael Phelps (49.72), David Walters (46.80)